Thirty Eight - Pure Bliss

"Not guilty."

Veronica lets out a huge sigh of relief and instantly wraps her arms around me. "Thank you thank you thank you!" She repeats over and over again.

I pretend to be annoyed and gently push her off of me. "Yeah yeah, don't get into any more trouble, you hear me?" I say.

She nods. "But if I do, I'm calling you." She smiles and then hugs him again before going to her parents.

Aaron stands up and holds out his hand, and I shake it. "Congrats, Alexander. You've won your very first case. I knew it was a good idea to put you on this case."

"Yeah yeah...Say, why don't we go to dinner tonight? You, your wife, John and I?" I ask, hoping he would say yes. It'd be nice to catch up a bit.

He smiles and laughs. "Are you asking instead of me begging you to come?" He teases.

"Hey, don't make me change my mind." I roll my eyes and we walk out.

"Let's go to Lafayette and Hercules's restaurant, I love their food. Text John, I'll text Theo." Burr says.

Before I could object, he sent the message and I sigh and text John to meet us there. We get to the restaurant and Lafayette smiles brightly at us. "Monsieur Hamilton!" He exclaims and then nods at Aaron. "Burr."

Aaron doesn't seem bothered by the not as friendly greeting as he just smiles at him. "Hello, Lafayette. Table for four, please."

"Ah, but of course. Bringing the Mrs and the boyfriend along, I assume?" He asks, leading us to a table.

I nod. "Yep. How'd you know?" I chuckle.

He shrugs. "Who else would it be?" He gave us menus as we sat down. "I'll lead them over here when they get here."

Burr thanked him before he walked away and then looked over at me. "So, how do you feel after winning that case?" He asks.

I sigh. "Honestly, I didn't think I was going to. Miss Sawyer quite literally had no evidence proving she didn't do it, and Forrest knew what he was doing."

"True, but so did you." Burr says, sipping his water.

"Hey guys, how did the trial go?" A feminine voice asks.

Theodosia approaches and kisses her husband's cheek before sitting down next to him and placing a hand on her stomach. I look at it and smile. "It went well. We actually won."

She smiles brightly. "Wow, that's amazing. I always knew you had a knack for this kind of thing."

"What kind of thing?"

"Oh, you know. Arguing." She giggles and I scoff.

"Why does everyone tell me that?" I ask, pouting slightly but all in good fun.

"Oh, come on. You remember college, Alexander." She teases.

"Yo, what's up guys?" I hear John ask before he sits next to me. I smile and peck his cheek before holding his hand.

Ew...Now we look like an annoying couple. Oh well, screw it.

"John, so glad you could join us! I haven't seen you in a while." Burr says loudly. "How've you been?"

John smiles brightly as he rubs my knuckles with his thumb. "I've been pretty good. Well, now that I'm back in New York for good anyway."

"Yeah, why did you move away, by the way?" Theodosia asks, leaning in. "You really affected your boyfriend when you left."

I send her a quick glare and John chuckles. "So I've heard. I had to leave for some important business stuff.." He lies.

"Ooh, a business man so young?" Theo asks, obviously curious. Or nosey. Honestly, I'm not sure there's much of a difference.

"Nah, not really. I work at an aquarium now. I give tours to small children and annoyed parents." He laughs.

Burr laughs along with him. "You went into business only to come back to New York to be a tour guide?" He asks, clearly not sure why.

John smiles, but I can tell he's nervous. He hated talking about his dad, so I smile and lean my head on his shoulder. "He just doesn't like that environment," I say, not completely lying. "You guys know John, he's not aggressive enough to be a business man."

The couple across from us just nod in agreement and John scoffs. "What's that supposed to mean?" He asks, pretending to be offended.

I laugh and kiss his jaw before resting my chin on his shoulder. "You know it's true."

Theodosia fake gags and I roll my eyes. "God, it is possible to keep your hands off each other, you know."

I raise an eyebrow and point at her fairly large stomach. "Yeah, clearly you and Burr didn't." I joke and they both laugh.

"Alexander, you realize we're both Burr now, technically. I do remember telling you to call me Aaron." Burr- Aaron says.

I sigh and wave him off. "Yeah yeah, I'm just not used to it."

We talked and ate for quite a while and when we were all finished, we ended up talking for another hour afterwards.

We talked about literally the most random things ever. All the way from wearing mismatched socks to Theodosia's weird pregnancy cravings.

"Anyway.." I say, whilst laughing at something dumb Bu- Aaron had said. "I think it's time for John and I to head home, yeah?" I ask, looking over at him.

He smiled and nodded at me before turning towards the other two. "It was great to catch up with you two. We'll have to do this more often, alright?"

"Oh, definitely. Probably not 'till after the baby comes, though. Any day now." Theodosia giggles.

Aaron chuckles and wraps and arm around his wife. "See you guys later."

I nod and stand up, holding hands with John, before walking out of the restaurant with him. We walk to the parking lot, hand in hand, and I see John staring up at the sky.

"Something wrong?" I ask him.

He smiles and shakes his head. "Nah, it's just that the New York sunset hits a little differently than the one in South Carolina."

I roll my eyes playfully. "You know, I never understood that. The sun is the same everywhere you go, people are just-"

"Alex, stop talking." He chuckles and pulls me in to kiss him.

I smile and kiss him back, holding both of his hands as I stand up on my tippie toes. The cool breeze ruffled through our clothes gently as we kissed. It was a perfect moment.

He pulled away and smiled down at me. "Alright, let's get home."

I chuckle gently and hold his hand all the way until we have to split to get into my car. We then drive home, feeling nothing but pure bliss.

1122 Words

Ok sooooo the book is ending in a few chapters. It's like 5 more. Don't worry, there will still be drama but I couldn't keep it going because I didn't know what else to do.