Alone in the dark

Yo I wanna art
T

W: nothing but tell me if there is.
Ship sailing: no

-

A

lone in the dark, we hope they'll let us be. We do not make a sound as we count to three.

The campers sat in their tents, their mouths shut. None of them dared to make a sound lest they jeopardize the safety of everyone. Lives were at risk. 

They waited. 

Alone in the dark, here we sit. You are lucky if you get to six. 

Max lifted up a fourth finger, chanting 'four mississippi' in his head. He held a fifth and changed then a sixth. Neil watched the finger rise and knew the closer they get, the safer they'd be. 

Alone in the dark, our breaths are held. You'll probably survive if you make it to twelve. 

The campers waited with baited breath as they counted the seconds. 

Nikki let out a low sigh as she got to twelve, knowing they'd surely be safe soon. Nerris quieted her, they couldn't hope. Bad things happen when you hope too much. 

Alone in the dark, you haven't been seen. A god must have been kind to you if you made it to fifteen. 

David smiled. It was almost over. They were so close. So so close. Just a few more seconds and he'd be able to go out and make sure the kids are alright. 

Gwen silently quivered as she waited with David. No life mattered but the kids at this point but she knew better than to move. She learned that last year. 

Alone in the dark, just keep waiting. Almost there, you made it to eighteen

Space kid began to cry tears of joy as Dolf got to eighteen seconds inside their tent. 

A figure moved outside, they stopped their silent celebration. Too soon. 

Alone in the dark, it's finally done. You've finally made it to twenty-one

The noises outside ran off into the distance and it got quite and quieter, soon disappearing all together. The campers and counselors let out a breath they didn't know they'd been holding. 

The squirrels were gone, but they knew they'd be back…

Soon.