Chapter 1

"Frosty, the snowman, was a jolly happy soul. With a corncob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal, oh..." I sang, making a snow angel. Winter was my favourite time of year.

I got up, standing back to admire my angel. The excess snow sticking to my light blond hair.

"Time to make a snowman!" I held my hands out, concentrating on the snow. The snow started to swirl and make a medium-sized, round snowball. Just as I had pictured it in my head.

This was what set me apart from every other child in the town. I've been able to control snow for as long as I've been able to talk.

I created a smaller snowball and placed it on top of the other one. I grabbed two small twigs for his arms and two small light blue stones from my pocket. Those were for his eyes and matched the colour of mine.

He was perfect. I smiled as I drew a little smile on his tiny face.

WHOOSH.

POOM!

A small snowball flew through the air and collided with the snowman's head.

"Oops."

A voice I knew all too well. I turned around. Jessica and her posse. They went to the same school I did, but they didn't have ice powers or live in an orphanage. They also made my life as miserable as they possibly could.

"Looks like Silver is playing alone. Again." Jessica said, purposely stressing 'again'.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"We were just having a snowball fight. I saw I hit your snowman and wanted to see if it was okay," she said, looking at my fallen friend. Jessica lifted her foot and stomped the poor snowman.

She feigned surprise, "Oh no! He's broken!"

"Hey! Stop!" I stood up, but one of her friends tripped me and I fell on my back. I yelped. Two of them held my hands, I couldn't use my powers. I kicked my legs, thrashing as hard as I could. They kicked snow on me, getting it in my jacket sleeves and mouth.

They all laughed, enjoying my torment.

"Freak!" they yelled.

Jessica looked at her nails, "I'm bored, let's go."

They let go of me and walked away saying, "What a freak!" and "She's such a loser!" I lay there, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

I think that's enough time outside for one day.

I ran back to the orphanage, sobs escaping my mouth with each breath.

I entered the big building, kicking off my boots and rushing up the wooden stairs to my room. I curled up on my bed and let the tears out. Every day they come, every day they insult me, and every day I come back to my room to cry in solitude.

Sometimes I wonder if they're right.

Sometimes I wonder if I am just a freak.