Xavier

She looked like a pixie.

Or at least how Xavier imagined pixies to look like. Or even one of those large-eyed anime characters from the contraband Japanese cartoons that he loved to watch; though it was not so easy to find ever since the government started monitoring what came out as entertainment and updates for the citizens. All for their safety.

But he had ways.

He had plenty of ways and secrets. That's why he was very cautious. Especially when it came to pretty girls with jet black hair the color of midnight, and eyes that were looking at him with a trapped expression very reminiscent of a doe in front of headlights.

She was not too tall. Maybe a little taller than his shoulders but he was not short so she was not on the petite side either.

Though she looked vulnerable, Xavier could feel some strength in the way she carried herself. He knew why she was there, and the fact that she was trailing along behind him and not being all sniveling like damsels in distress tend to become - that spoke volumes of her inner character.

"We stop here," Xavier said, his voice devoid of emotion.

They were in between stacks of books that have gone dusty with disuse. Evidence that the library has not been of much use for some time.

He turned around and looked at her.

She just stood there. Looking up at him with a question on her face, though, she remained silent and waited for him to speak.

"I would like to know where you obtained the code for the distress signal," he inquired, matter of fact. "There are only a handful of people with access to the code and it is always better to be safe than sorry. The government has eyes everywhere."

"Is this a test?" Nina looked at the man that she has met only for the first time. His face was serious but not tensed. It looked as if he wore a blank mask and thing thing that she would answer would determine his next expression. 

Nina felt her throat constrict in panic, she was not really sure why she trusted what she was doing. If not for some half-assed warning from her brother and an ancient looking communication device that he called a mobile phone, she would not have taken things seriously - but the fear in her was blocking her airways; her breath was slow and labored as she looked into Xavier's questioning eyes but she had never been  one to step back. Her eyes were steadfast as she almost defiantly lifted her chin,  "Are you trying to ask if I am a spy from the Government." she added, it was not a question.

"Just give me the answer."

"My brother, Maverick told me to punch in the code using a secure gadget when something like this happened," she explained, her fingers nervously fidgeting with the hem of her coat, her palms suddenly sweaty.

"When you say secure gadget," Xavier prodded, his eyes wandering all over her, observing her actions and gauging the truthfulness of what she was saying, "what did you mean by that?" he finished.