19

Kabanata 19: Cheating

A month before the end of the semester, Engr. Julien de los Reyes, my professor in Calculus, scouted me to compete in a Math competition among elite colleges, institution, and universities in National Capital Region. The competition per se composed of basic mathematics courses: Algebra, Trigonometry, Geometry, and Probability and Statistics. The tricky part in this kind of competition is, aside from it is time-pressured, the topics are in-depth. Given that I will have to recall everything in a month, I feel a lot of pressured especially in Probstat.

Sienna and Shannon always tease me of being a teachers' pet since Junior High School. Well, I admit that it is true though. I have to do well in my classes and if helping my professors will help my grades as well I don't mind.

I went to the faculty every after class for my training review with Engr. de los Reyes. Engr. de los Reyes processed a temporary access card for me to allow me to enter the Faculty division any time for the whole month. It is convenient so that I don't need to log-in and log-out in the lounge every time.

"Nahirapan ang mga kaklase mo sa topic kanina, ikaw ba?" Engr. de los Reyes casually asked.

I am answering plenty of worksheets that he prepared for today. Hindi ako nag-angat ng tingin sa kanya at nagpatuloy sa pagsagot. Pinaglapat ko ang labi ko at saka sumagot.

"It's a bit complex, Engineer." I politely answered.

"Julien nalang, Vian."

That would be weird. Engr. de los Reyes is not really old, just 26 years old. Calling him on the first name basis would be weird for me since it would seem like he's a friend.

Umiling ako at ngumiti, "Your title would be a waste if you won't utilize it, Engineer."

Tumawa naman siya sa tugon ko, "Sa bagay. Please yourself then."

I must say that this review is fully getting my attention that some nights I am not able to study at home because I am so tired to do so. When my classes ended late, I had to extend my review to 9PM. There are also group activities in the minor subjects especially in Physical Education class that we almost have group meetings and practice for our finals.

"Sa Cuneta Astrodome ang venue." Engr. de los Reyes announced, "It would be advantageous for us because we're only half an hour away."

"Sinabi na rin ba ang type of questions?"

"Well, I think it would be a typical multiple choices for easy, true or false, fill in the blanks, etcetera."

It's actually exhausting because Engr. de los Reyes is really clueless as to what questions will come up. It is actually more bearable if they are only Algebra because it is more on utilizing techniques logically to solve a problem.

Lutang na lutang ang diwa ko dalawang araw bago ang laban. The pressure doubled knowing that the contest is two days away and the final examination is four days away. Usually, I prepare a week ahead before the final examination. All the final requirements were mandated to be complete a week before the examination so the students have ample time to prepare for the final exams.

"You look worn out." Shannon commented. She tucked my hair at the back of my right ear.

Nasa restaurant kami ngayon para sa lunch. This week is supposedly light because our classes are review classes only and most professors prefer library time. Due to pressure, I am not able to relax even one bit because I have to still study for the contest and study for finals.

Sienna looked worried as she watch me eat. She even assisted me in everything. She even ordered healthy desserts that she researched that is good for the brain.