Too stubborn (Tobin)

"Are you sure you are good to play babe, you really don't look too good?" Tobin asks me as we get off the team bus and into the stadium

"I'm fine, it's just a small cold, nothing I can't run off Toby" I say mustering up the best smile I can offer her.

In reality, I'm feeling like shit, but I need Jill to see me playing well if I want to make the World Cup squad this summer, and that means playing as many minutes on the pitch as I possibly can.

We head to the locker room and change into our training gear to go warm-up and stretch out on the pitch. I make sure to take a big swig of water before going out and trying to forget about the pounding in my head.

I make it through the warm-ups without anyone noticing anything different about me and I just pray that I can make it through the match too.

It might be a little stubborn of me to still be playing like I am but the only way I'm not playing is if I pass out.

"It's warm out there today ladies so make sure to stay hydrated when you can and if you need to come off there's plenty of subs to take your place. Enough said, now let's get out there and win today ladies!" Jill's says to everyone as we all clap loudly trying to get everyone pumped up.

We make our way to the tunnel and line up next to Spain who we're playing against.

"Are you sure you are good Jess?" Tobin asks checking on me again

"I'm perfect Tobin," I say to her just as we're heading outside.

We shake hands and soon get into position, myself taking my usual central midfield place and waiting for the whistle to blow.

I can feel the sweat trickling off my forehead already and my body feeling like a furness and the game hasn't even kicked off yet.

- - - -

One of the Spanish player's has gone to the floor holding their ankle from an injury so I take this small break to get some water from the bench.

I start jogging over and Kelley stands up meeting me in the middle with a bottle in her hand

"here you go J, it looks like you need it," She says handing me the water as I try to squeeze it into my mouth but my hands are shaking so much I can't get a grip on the bottle

"whoa, are you okay sis?" Kelley ask looking at me concerned and placing a hand on my arm

"no, no, I'm fine Kels, just a little shaky, probably haven't had enough sugar," I say lying to my sister

"Just be careful out there, we've still got another 20 minutes of the game left," She says unscrewing the cap so I can drink out of it.

"I will," I say and try my best to gracefully drink the water.

We are soon called back onto the pitch since the Spanish player has received treatment and has been substituted already.

I slowly jog back into my place, running past my girlfriend along the way

"Jess!" tobin shouts making me turn and face her

"Babe, get subbed please you don't look good" Tobin tries to say to me

"There's nothing wrong with me, it's just warm out," I say in defence ignoring her concern for me.

I've gone 70 minutes playing in this heat I can last another 20, I think. We need another goal to get the win and I'm going to do my best to get it.

It's in the 90+ minute of the match and we are probably on our last attack before the whistles blow and we really need to get a goal.

My legs are feeling like jelly and my vision is becoming increasingly blurrier but I make one last effort and run the corner of the box where Rose passes me the ball.