Chapter five: the chapter in which camo breaks several gumball machines

She woke up from her sleep, her hand hurting terribly from punching the mirror. She sat up and got off the mattress. Gnaign stirred and yawned.
She went through the food stuffs she had in her bag. She pulled out a granola bar. She broke it in half, tossing one half to Gnaign.
He chomped and ate it quickly. As she took her time chewing on hers.
"Let's get a move on." She said, setting him in her bag. She grabbed her spear and put on the back pack. She unlocked the door and went out into the bathroom. Then quietly unlocked the bathroom door and opened it.
She looked around, making sure the coast is clear. On the front of the door were deep claw marks.
She started to sneak out into the main part of the mall. Trying to be as silent as she can. She froze when she heard foot steps behind her. Claws scratching the tiles as it walks.
"It's right behind me, isn't it..." she mutters.
Then she breaks into a run, it following after her in an angry pursuit. She weaves through the kiosks, she's trying to think of a way to get ahead.
She sees the cluster of candy dispensers and uses the butt of her spear to smash them open, releasing thousands of gum balls and jaw breakers.
It ran right into the mess of rainbow orbs on the ground, and due to lack of arms for extra balance, it slipped. The balls rolling under it, momentum carrying straight through a display window.
She laughed and quickly shoveled an assortment of candies into a little bag before running off.
Running to an exit and breaking the glass of the door and climbing out. The sky is blue with pretty white clouds. A soft warm breeze blowed through.
Through the city she went. Weaving through buildings and debris. She is trying to find anything with a radio antenna.
Her spear at the ready, the streets are crawling with those creatures. She has to hide several times, trying to avoid confrontation. She's too battered for that, poor girl. Her knuckles have scabbed over and the bruise is starting to show. Yellow and purple.
Gnaign grew restless but she insisted he settle down for his own safety. These streets are no place for a baby.
Back alley ways and stinking trash. It's pretty terrible here. Blood stains and bits of bloody cloth from people who became part of the food chain.
But at least it's safer than the main streets. She'll take rats over those things any day.
Do they even have a name for their species? To her they don't. They're things. Creatures that don't deserve the pleasure of having a snappy nickname given to them by a human teenager.
But what makes gnaign different? One day, he'll grow up and be just like the rest of them. He'll probably eat her the first chance he gets.
Why is she doing this? To prove a point? To prove that she's special? Like some 'chosen one'? This isn't Jurassic world, and she's not Owen and Gnaign is not some velociraptor.
This isn't some fairy tale. She won't get a happy ending with a castle and a prince. This is more like hell.
Welcome to the jungle baby, you're gonna die.