chapter two-The Solo Survivor

Apparently there was a virus going around in Europe. It was discovered around January 8th, though who really knows when the hell it started.

It may be about March 1st, when Europe was totally screwed and the other countries weren't looking too well. Though we were in the US; We're safe, right?

The virus hit the states around mid-May. I didn't really pay much attention because we were on a road trip...well, I was with my buddy Tomas and his mom and dad.

And, well, by the end of May, all in and out of State transport shut down completely.

My name is Joshua, I had unluckily ended up in a small town inside Montana. Did I love the place? No, freaking hated it. I was from up North. Elmira to be exact. The winters were cold and the summers were balanced. There were people everywhere and most people at least heard of one another. But up here? Community was tight nit and there was a lot of wildlife, something I wasn't really used to being a city kid myself.

Through my reason for being there was simple. My buddy Tomas had heard of a nice pretty town he wanted to see and invited me along with him and I guess I wanted to check it out myself.

Today was July 18th, today was the day shit hit the fan. And personally I would love to say that I was an epic, cool, survivor, but really I just spent the day listening to music and sharpening my knife. I heard a car alarm over my music and against my better judgement I checked it out. I stepped out on to the balcony and the smell of blood permeated in the air around me. It didn't take much to understand the situation. I walked inside and took a breath. Throwing on my shirt, I slipped my coat on while putting on my sneakers. Lastly, I put the knife scabbard on my right thigh next to my dominant hand.

Though after my panic I realized Tomas, his mom and dad were gone. Their stuff isn't here. I look at the door and before leaving I grab a few mints, popping one in before leaving. I look at the knife in my hand, "This is my life line if it breaks I'm fucked." 

Opening the door and checking the corners, I made sure there was no one there before walking out, blade in hand. I made a break for the staircase, which was luckily unlocked, allowing me to open the door and bolt down the stairs. That was my fatal mistake. There were about thirty of those....those things in the lobby. They didn't notice me even though I was practically looking one in the eyes. It then clicked with me 'they can't see, can they?' Now that I think about in most of the anime, manga, and movies they can't see, but they can hear. Well, let's test my theory. I picked up a nearby empty flower pot and tossed it across the room. It scattered. And it was loud. The things looked to where it was and started to walk toward where the sound originated. 'Well, I guess they can't see or smell. Good to know.' I thought while sneaking away. I made it outside where the sun hit my eyes "fuck, it's too bright out here" I whispered to myself.

Then, I remembered a gun shop me and Tomas visited. In seconds, I spotted a REC7 and a M9, and if I was going to survive I needed weapons, and friends, or at least people I could trust. I then made a break while avoiding formally high activity. I had made a few stops I had picked a duffle bag, 'convenient' I thought while making my way to the weapon shop.