Chapter four-unlikely allies

Nikel stared, unsure how to feel. The plank he dropped, and was in the process of picking up, ended up getting an arrow embedded into it from an unknown source. The arrowhead was pitch black, and serrated. It would've hurt if it actually hit him.

He was boarding things up, for protection, but he didn't think anyone would be here so quickly. Most people already ransacked the place, and it was obvious too.

Glass shards from broken cases, stands knocked over, spilling their contents over the floors; You could say it was a mess. A few lights were flickering, whether it was because the power might go out soon or just those bulbs, he didn't know.

Spinning around, hand over his weapon, he saw someone, bow raised. Clearly they were the one to shoot the arrow at him. Nikolaus tried to pick out details of the person, but it didn't help they were standing underneath one of the lights that kept flickering.

Short brown hair, pixie style short, blue tee shirt and some jeans. Pale skin was obvious underneath the light. It was common style he'd suppose for a guy. A bow, colored blue, Nikolaus duly noted, and a pink bag, with some arrows poking out of a side pocket. The colored bag seemed to stand out, considering the guy had a blue and black color scheme going on.

"Holy shit! You're human."

And you're not a guy! He noted.

Footsteps were heard, and before either person could react, another man came running into the area. With a smack, he collided with the now know to be girl, knocking her to the floor. The contents of the bag spilled all over the floor, revealing quite a bit of food and a few bottles of water. The guy, from what he got, was taller than the female, and clearly tanner too. "Hey, there's a shit ton of those things coming this way! We might wanna grab all we can hold!" His voice rose to a higher pitch, due to the onset of panic probably.

Who wouldn't be panicking? Should he be panicking?

"Shit! Well, I wish I actually finished it, but," Nikolaus gestured to the place. "Welcome to the soon-to-be Safe House Alpha. With your two's help, we might be able to secure it before the horde attacks." He proceeded to grab the plank with the arrow in it. Pulling the arrow out (Which he dropped on the floor), and went to board up the door. "If either of you two want to leave, there is a ladder in the back heading up to the roof where you can go across to the pharmacy and go down." Nikel told them, still screwing on the board.

"If I'm going to survive this seems like the best place for now." Josh said, starting to help board up the windows as the sounds of loud shuffling is heard outside. "Hey, lady, you gonna get off the floor and help anytime soon?" Josh asked the girl.

"I wouldn't be on the floor with all my items spilled everywhere if you were watching where you were going now would I?" She gave a pause. "And yes, where's the extra planks. I don't feel like dying anytime soon, believe it or not."

Boarding up the place didn't take long, considering that there were now three people doing it, instead of just one, and that some windows were already done. They made small talk, slightly awkward, but small talk nonetheless.

"So, like, who are the two of you?" Josh asked.

"Name's Emily. I don't know his though." She tilted her head in the direction of Nikolaus. "You?"

"I'm Joshua. I go by Josh though. But don't know him either." Josh said pointing at Nickel with his thumb.

"Name's Nikolaus, but just call me Nikel." Nikel said, placing a map on the counter. He began to use a pencil and started writing on the map.

"You thinking of another place to move when these assholes leave?" Josh asks Nikel.

"Well, this place is adequate for housing, but not much else. The hardware store across the street has lots of very large planks, so I'm planning out a 'sky bridge' of sorts." Nikel said, still writing on the map.