5

"Child of Witchcraft" part 3

"Are we there yet?!" I asked as I pant. We faced another horrific creature. I won't get into details, it's too horrible to describe.

"We're closer but still far away from here." Charlie added as he squinted, probably looking for the right direction.

I've noticed Mac was being silent after that monstrous encounter. I wondered what bothers him. Of course I didn't ask. Why would I invade his privacy? Besides we barely know each other. We just met today, he saved my life- our life.

"How do you even manage to survive?!" Probably it was a bad idea to ask this question instead of asking what bothered him.

"Luck, I guess." He quickly respond as he looked away.

"How did you even know we're almost going to die?"

"I don't even know either." He paused. "I didn't expect I'd met you. Been running away for a week now. I knew my dad would be so mad for me for leaving but I knew I was unsafe there."

"Isn't even worse here?! Look, if we get to that place Charlie's talking about--"

"I don't know..."

"Don't know what?"

"If I belong there..." He added. "They might think I was an enemy."

"Why'd they think that way?! You already prove me you're capable of something."

"I know that. My dad believed that I'd do anything as long as it's the right thing but for now, I knew this isn't the right time either--"

"Come on!" Charlie interrupted. "We're riding a taxi."

Then we did ride a taxi. Since our disrupted conversation, Mac went on silent again while Charlie chewed another scented marker. To my surprise, Mac still came with us even he just mentioned he didn't really wanted to join.

"How far is this place anyway? It's almost 5:45 in the afternoon."

He went on explanation mode, "If we didn't pick up a taxi, it's way more farther. Mac, do you have a spare change?"

Mac nodded and lend him 50 dollar bill.

Charlie was stunned, "I-isn't this too much?!"

"Keep the change. You might need that."

"You're being too kind and generous, that's too much." I reiterated.

"Not a big deal. If you want to arrive as soon as possible, I'm here to help."

"You're actually coming with us?!" I was surprised and got somehow excited that he might actually change his mind.

Unfortunately, he ignored my question, "Charlie, is it still far?!"

"We're almost here." Charlie pointed out a farm. Or I thought it was a farm. In the distance, I can see some strawberries. So he did live in a farm.

"A farm? Odd choice." Mac added.

"It's the mist--"

I remembered him mentioning the word earlier, I couldn't resist to be curious, "There we go again with that word. What does that even mean?"

"For most mortals-- er, people, they'd perceive things differently. Some are gifted to see through it but it's rare."

"Is that what you did earlier?" I was actually referring to Mac. I was certain he looked like someone else when we were running away from him thinking he was a bad guy.

"Here we are." The chauffeur added.

The taxi left and it was just the three of us now.

"We're close, we gotta walk a bit but we're getting there." Charlie said as he held my hand. "Mac? Where are you going?"

"I can't stay." He replied. "I have to wait for the right time--"

"This is the right time!" I insisted. "Look, I barely know you. We just met today but please, I won't force you but, you should know that I'd accept you even if they don't--"

But before I even finished, I realized that there's something glowing on my head, "W-What?!"

Then Charlie staggered to bow at me as if I was a royalty. Mac followed his example.

"What the hell?!" I added.

"You were claimed..." Charlie said. "By your mom."