Arlo 13

The late night moon shines over head as we find ourselves on the edge of lord Andrews territory. John jumps off his horse and him and Isen set up the tents, Blyke and i begin to cook. I squat down near the fire that Isen made and hang the pot over it with a chain connected to a tree. Blyke walks over and sits down  handing me a rabbit. "I don't know how you hunt without feeling guilty" he gags. I laugh and slide the slice the knife over it neck and pull the hide off. "Just leave it to us then" I throw the hide at him. "Besides you need it, so it doesn't matter how gross it is.'' Blyke nods and puts some herbs in the boiling water. "I'll do this, go talk with John. I think you need it." I get up and walk over to where Johns playing cards with Isen.

"Hey babe" I mumble and sit down in Johns lap. He grunts and moves his arms around my body to show me his cards. "How good are you with card games arlo?" He asks "depends what game?"
"Cheat... I think" he says and kisses the back of my neck. I look at Isen he's on the floor laughing at that statement. "You think?" He giggles. I laugh too and take the cards from John. He takes this opportunity to pull a mint leaf off a tree near us and give it a small wash with his flask of water. "Mint leaf?" He asks.
"You are a strange man" I say, taking the leaf off him and chewing on it. The flavour explodes and I instantly feel refreshed and less stressed about what happened today. I lean back in Johns arms. "Dinners ready". Blyke says walking over, somehow balancing four plates of rabbit stew. Isen stands and grabs two off him, handing them to John and I. No one talks while they eat and all you can hear is the crackling of the fire and the scrap of spoons against metal bowls. I put my bowl down and wipe my face. "That was great Blyke!" I yell and pat him on the back.
"When'd you learn to do that?" Isen asks giving him a kiss. He pulls away and walks to their tent, leaving Isen yelling after him. Isen gives me a questioning look. "Before Blyke was my handmade he worked for some mean men. It was a slave trade but he was to young to be sold off as a sex slave and to attractive to be sold as a normal slave. So the people who looked after the trade taught him skills that he'd need when they sold him off. This happened until he was around fourteen when my fathers men wanted to end the slave trade. As you probably know he wasn't successful but he I'd shut down that particular slave house. They started taking the people back to their homes but Blykes town was bombed so he had nowhere to go. Dad brought him home to work in the gardens but I asked him to be my handmade, and I didnt like the one I had. He was mean." I mumble. Johns and Isens faces are filled with shock. I smile and look over to Isens tent, he's sitting in the entrance his eyes glowing with a mixture of emotions, hate, sadness and fear. He's never liked talking about it  and I've sort of gotten used to him not talking about it so it's strange telling others. "Let's go to bed"
"John will I be allowed to share a tent with Blyke" I turn to look at him and share a quick glance at him. He nods, smiling widely at me. "Your a great friend" he whispers.