Chapter 4

General POV

The team was doing their tasks. Going to the crime scenes, looking over evidence, as well as interviewing witnesses/potential suspects. And Garcia was idly waiting by the phone.

The security guard was bringing Jess up to Garcia's cave once she was screened in. That normally takes about 30 minutes. And then to print the badge is about 10 minutes.

In that time, Garcia talked to Morgan amd informed him of her findings. He also gave her more parameters to narrow down the suspect list.

There was a knock at the door and Jess walked in.

She looked as lovly as ever. Her dark brown hair flowed flawlessly down her back. Her bright white and navy blue shirt accented her baby blue eyes and made them look even brighter than normal. She was breathtaking.

"Hey, PG," Jess said very timidly. This was the first time she was here. Never once did she come by when her and Spencer were dating. The arrival procedures were very scary for someone that doesn't work there.

"Hey gorgeous. Been waiting on you," Garcia joked.

"Ehhh. You know, traffic and security don't like me."

Garcia pulled out one of her many chairs and patted it. Jess accepted thr invitation and sat down. Her eyes werw instantly drawn to the screen.

"What's this?"

Garcia smiled to her. "This is what I do here. I look up things and process things for the team. It seems easier than it is."

"That's cool. I could never figure out how to do all this. It took me 6 months to learn Excel," Jess joked.

Garcia laughed. She finished learning Excel in a month and moved on to more complex computer programs.

"Anyway... I see that you're here. I'm honestly suprised you showed up. I was expecting a lot of begging on my part but still," Garcia shrugged.

Jess rubbed her knee through her jeans as a nervous tick. "Well... I couldn't act like everything is okay. You said that Spence didn't cheat... then why does he have a kid? You also said that it's killing him and you guys. Why does he need a therapist? It doesn't make sense and I need to know the answers."

Garcia placed her hand on Jess's to stop her from clawling her jeans to death. "Yeah. He's not doing so great at the moment. I saw him this morning and he told me that he made a little progress. Three months going and he is just now making progress."

Jess smiled a little at that. "He's getting better though, right?"

Garcia shrugged. "I think so, but he doesn't really likw revealing personal details. It's just who he is."

"Speaking of who he is, I told you I would explain everything. It started about a year ago now. There was a case and this woman named Rebecca Tanner ended up taking Spencer. It wasn't his fault either. It was a deal that the local PD made and it messed Spencer up."

Garcia paused to see how Jess was handling what she was saying. Garcia could see the wheels turning as she was processing what was said.

"It took us a month and a half to find him. We told you that the case dragged on with deadends and saying that Spencer was busy on stakeouts and getting sleep. We didn't want you to panic."

Garcia paused as she remembered the way they found Spencer. He was tied to a chair with no food or water. The unsub was getting tired of him and was about to kill him when they got there. She left him in her basement to starve to death.

"When he was in the hospital, he asked for you. He wanted to see you right then. The doctors had to sedate him to get him to relax enough for them to fix him up. Morgan called you to tell you that Spencer was hurt. In that time, Spencer told the officers what happened and the whole team heard it. He asked us not to tell you."

Upon hearing this, Jess had to make sure she was thinking in the right direction. "What- what happened to him?"

Garcia only looked at her and Jess had her answer. "Tanner used him. Luna's real mother broke Reid. He has a hard time taking care of his own daughter because he is reminded every day of what that woman did to him."

At this, Jess broke down. All those things she said to Spencer made her feel guilty. She ended it with Spencer when he was hurting the most.

All the times he told her he never cheated on her and she called him a liar. Jess cried for Spencer and how much he had struggled in the past year.

All the while, keeping Jess out of it. Never once did he act like he was hurting around her.

Garcia pulled Jess into her and she whispered soothing words to Jess. Both of the girls were comforting each other. Garcia wanted to cry as well but didn't. She was trying her best to stay objective.

After a while, all the tears were shed. Jess straightened back up and wiped her eyes. She inhaled deeply before she looked Garcia in the eyes.

"How is he doing? Is he better? God! Why didn't I see this? Why didn't I listen to him in the beginning? I hurt him, too." Jess was starting to get worked up again.

Garcia shushed her words. "He's getting better. When I left, he actually picked up his baby girl and held her close to him. That's the closest I've seen him with her since she showed up."

Jess laughed at the thought of Spencer and the baby. "That's good. That means he is getting better, right?"

Garcia nodded. "He will eventually get better. It will just take some time. I know he misses you like crazy, too. He told me about a week ago when we went to the doctors."

"Do you think I could drop by and see him? Would he be okay with that?"

Garcia shruggrd. "You just have to go for it. You still love him. He just needs someone right now to help him and I don't think the team is qualified to do that."

Jess wiped her eyes again and stood up. She straightened her clothes and gather her courage. "Im going to go see Spencer." With that, Jess said bye to Garcia and started on her mission to rekindle a lost love and fix the mistake she made.