Part 29

1. Smile, even if it's a sad smile, because sadder than a sad smile is the sadness of not knowing how to smile.

2. The greatest and the smallest, light and dark, right and wrong - they all come together to form the miracle that is life, and none can exist without the others.

3. There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle.

4. Those who fear the darkness have no idea what the light can do.

5. Ever has it been that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.

6. Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart.

7. Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

8. To dare to live alone is the rarest courage; since there are many who had rather meet their bitterest enemy in the field, than their own hearts in their closet.

9. The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.

10. They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

11. Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

12. There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.

13. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

14. The end comes when we no longer talk with ourselves. It is the end of genuine thinking and the beginning of the final loneliness. The remarkable thing is that the cessation of the inner dialogue marks also the end of our concern with the world around us. It is as if we noted the world and think about it only when we have to report it to ourselves.

15. As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.