Part 30

1. Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing, Only a signal shown, and a distant voice in the darkness; So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another, Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.

2. It is loneliness that makes the loudest noise. This is true of men as of dogs.

3. Although the world is full of suffering , it is also full of the overcoming of it.

4. Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.

5. My feeling is that there is nothing in life but refraining from hurting others, and comforting those who are sad.

6. Why is my existence so perfect with dark places? And why do I no longer care?

7. It is impossible for that man to despair who remembers that his Helper is omnipotent.

8. I talk to God but the sky is empty.

9. Dying seems less sad than having lived little too.

10. The absence of love is the most abject pain.

11. There must be quite a few things a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them.

12. The people in the darker parts of society need God as much as anyone else.

13. And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.

14. To die in order to avoid the pains of poverty, love, or anything that is disagreeable, is not the part of a brave man, but of a coward.

15. Why do we love the solitude and the solitude? My dear, you need only look into your own darkness-enshrouded spirit to find out.