Part 23

1. The walls we build around us to keep sadness out also keeps out the joy.

2. Every man has his secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a man cold when he is only sad.

3. So much sadness exists in the world that we are all under obligation to contribute as much joy as lies within our powers.

4. It's easy to cry when you realize that everyone you love will reject you or die.

5. Good humor is the health of the soul, sadness its poison.

6. Smile, even if it's a sad smile, because sadder than a sad smile is the sadness of not knowing how to smile.

7. Anger is just a cowardly extension of sadness. It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you're hurt.

8. Anger, tears and sadness are only for those who have given up.

9. The word 'happiness' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.

10. Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy.

11. You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

12. Beauty and sadness always go together. Nature thought beauty too rich to go forth Upon the earth without a meet alloy.

13. Once you become more and more watchful of your inner workings things become simple. Then a few things have to be dropped. One has not to be jealous if one wants to be loving. It becomes so clear that there is no question about it; one can simply see the point that if you are jealous, love is impossible. Jealousy is bound to create misery. Jealousy is part of ego, the shadow of the ego, the shadow of a shadow - and love needs egolessness. They can't go together, they can't co-exist.

14. Change is certain. Peace is followed by disturbances; departure of evil men by their return. Such recurrences should not constitute occasions for sadness but realities for awareness, so that one may be happy in the interim.

15. Sadness usually results from one of the following causes either when a man does not succeed, or is ashamed of his success.