Promise

Lying there, his head felt heavy, every thought brought with it pain. His grip still strong, holding onto her small, sore and raw fingers. He promised her he wouldn't let go. He wasn't going to break this promise like he tended to do with others. It would hurt her little heart, something fragile and already on the verge of breaking. It was his fault that they were even in here in the first place, a place he dare not let her approach, and now they were both lying on the solid ground. The trap which had tripped them must have been triggered by a small wire, otherwise, it would have been impossible to set up and since the temple had long been abandoned, no one was there to manually spring traps. Fortunately, the young girl had landed on him, breaking her fall before sliding towards the dark pit. He had grabbed onto a tile and had crashed against a wall, suffering more than the girl. He preferred it that way. She was barely conscious but still grabbed onto his hand which had only parted when they fell. After a desperate search had found them a spot away from the pit and there, they lay. He let the pain engulf him, the girl already had her eyes closed as he lowered his. He just hoped this wouldn't be the last time he closed his eyes, mostly for her sake. The last thing he could remember was the warmth of her hand, his fingers entwined with hers.