Solid Walls, Oh Facility

The room was cold and solid. The walls reaching high up and from ground level making you feel small. Not a breeze or gust of wind past through, any contact with the outside had been cut off, limited.

Sometimes it was hard to remember the time or even the year unless you had been told recently, and still, it was hard to take it is a fact. It was hard to trust anyone here, including the higher-ups. You may have had a small group of friends at one point, but eventually, you were left alone, bare of social interaction.

She'd been living here for as long as she could remember, but not all her life. There was a time, when she was a small child, that she had seen the outside. Still, she had no memories to turn to and to this day, her 15th birthday remembered nothing. It seemed that everyone around her also had no memories though by their age, certainly should have. The facilities had not been operating long, as she had been told. It felt like all memories had been systematically destroyed and replaced with the stone walls which surrounded them.

Everyone was always told in lessons that out there, there was nothing but waste and deadly creatures that would attack them, shed their blood, tear the meat of their bone and leave nothing but waste behind. They were always told that they were lucky and if they did something the higher-ups did not approve of, they were certainly told.

She'd always been sceptical, never actually seeing that if in fact what she was told was true. No one actually saw anything.

The damp smell of the room floated and stayed around, sticking to her, like a fly. Flies were a constant problem, the continuous buzzing drove the higher-ups crazy, but for the commoners who had lived with it for most of their lives, it was the mere background. That was just what it was like to live here by this point.