Chapter Six

Jillian

As I opened the cupboard to start putting away the groceries, my mother complained, "You've got to stop spending your money on me, Jill. I can buy my own groceries."

Why did parents always have to whinge when you buy them shit? "Mum, we've been over this a million times. I know you've struggled since losing your job and I like to help you when I can."

"You did enough for me when you moved in and looked after me when I was going through chemo. Now that I'm better and you've got your own place again, its time for you to live your life and stop worrying about me."

I looked at her as if she had two heads. "Like that's ever going to happen."

She huffed. "I just want to see you happy. you deserve that after all the shit you've been through. And fussing over me is a waste of time."

I stopped what I was doing and gave her my full attention. "I am happy, mum. Yeah I've had some hard times but I feel like I'm finally getting my life together. My ink and business course is nearly finished so I'll be able to do that full time soon, and I've made some great friends the last few months. I've got savings in my bank for the first time ever. And I have you and Amy back in my life which makes me very happy." I smiled as I thought of all the good things in my life.

The good had been missing for a long time, but it finally felt like I was moving past that phase of my life.

A slow smile spread across her face. "The day you came back to us was one of the best days of my life. Promise me you won't ever leave again."

Regret sliced through me. I'd been so selfish and self absorbed when I walked away from my family all those years ago. I'd cut them out of my life like they were a disease that needed to be eradicated. And for what? To make me feel better about myself by forgetting where I came from. To please a man who could never be pleased. I'd walked away without a second glance thinking my life would be so much better without my white trash family in it. Little did I know that my life would be so much darker and desperate without my family to provide the love and support that my new family didn't have in them.

I pulled her close and hugged her. "I promise, mama."

She broke the embrace and gave me a concerned look. "Jason was here this morning."

"Shit. He came and saw me yesterday, said he has a proposal for me. Turns out he's going into security after all."

"I thought he said he never wanted a bar of that."

"He said a lot of things that weren't true." The memories of all the lies he'd ever told me punched me in the gut. I'd been so dumb to believe anything he ever said.

Mum smoothed her hand over my hair. "I know you feel stupid for believing him but thats not on you, Jillian. That's on him and he's the fool for treating you that way. He's the idiot who is missing out on everything you would have given him."