The SAT Section: Basics and basic tips

Improve your scores in a few hours, or days, or weeks, or months... depending on the time you know you have and how you study. I took the SATs recently, and honestly, it felt like a war. I knew I had to write down my own lessons and hacks somewhere. So here we are.

Quick disclaimer: This should not be used as a main guide, only as a supplement. I'm just a teenager who felt like sharing info but decided not to make a YouTube Video. I am no SAT Prep Expert, or know-it-all, if you do not agree with some of the things I share, that's completely fine. We all have different opinions. I think it's a win-win situation for you. At least, you know what not to do. Additional tips are welcome:)

Hope I could help!!!

OVERVIEW

SAT= 3 Hours

1. Multiple choice Reading Test: 52 questions (65 mins)

+ = Evidenced Based Reading and Writing score

2. Multiple choice Writing and Language: 44 questions (35 min)

3. Math Test, No Calculator Section: 20 questions (25 mins)

+ = Total Math score

4.Math Test, Calculator Section: 38 questions (55 mins)

1600 = 800+800

Total score= (Evidence Based Reading & Writing score) +(Total Math score)

Ugh... basics suck!

Okay lets talk strategy. You need a strategy to beat the SAT. Btw, it is a standardized test, so you can work your way around it. Standardized tests have a fixed format to make them as fair as possible for all test takers who are coming from different schools, with no interaction with the test makers.

PLEASE STICK TO KHAN ACADEMY PRACTICE TESTS BEFORE ANY OTHERS, THEY COME FROM COLLEGE BOARD (THE TEST MAKERS)

1. Get a notebook for recording mistakes from practice tests. (IMMEDIATE IMPROVEMENT)

I assume you're taking practice tests on Khan Academy. If you're traditional like me, a notebook is perfect. But, if you're high up there on the technology ladder, your spreadsheets work just fine. I'm describing this in notebook format. Dear Tech people, just read and translate on your laptop. So what you're going to do is create a table. Mine ended up over 20 pages long!! Create one column for the question you got wrong (which test it was, question number, etc.), just paraphrase it such that you will understand it anytime you read it. Make another column for the correct answer and why you didn't choose it. Create the last column for the wrong answer you chose, why you chose it, and the lesson you learnt, (why you wouldn't choose it next time).

This is tedious, especially when you just want to move on and improve the next time. Normal review or glancing through wrong answers won't help as much, or at all. You will forget so easily. I got this trick from a Youtuber called Greg Smith.

2. Learn new skills! Do not, I repeat take two consecutive tests without learning something new. After recognizing your mistakes, don't just find the correct answer, learn the correct method. Khan Academy was made for this!!!!! Try the mini tests too.

3. YouTube, YouTube, and more YouTube!!!!!

Just binge-watch them. All of them. Not everything they say will fit your personal learning or test taking style. Honestly, some of them were not for me. I mean the guy is saying he got 1570 after practicing for a week. We are smart, but some of us aren't that kind of smart! Just watch them all and take what you can. For starters try Supertutortv, Greg Smith, ShivVZG, and all the others. These people really helped me. Just open YouTube, type 'SAT Overview,' 'SAT Reading tips,' 'SAT Math tips,' or 'Improve.... score.'

4. Learn the way you learn

If you feel you need a tutor, or an online tutoring guide, go ahead. Many people give their opinion on this. Depending on your needs or resources, you may or may not need one. I personally didn't want one. I preferred independent learning. I worked at my own pace and found free resources. Believe me, I love free. I did get a Princeton Review book. Was it helpful? Yes! Especially since, I was completely new to the whole SAT process.

If you want free, ask your school, local library, and friends you know who took the SAT recently. I know some places offer free tutoring. If you need a tutor, please do your research well, whether it is a computer program or an actual tutor, or both. Read reviews. Just type, 'Is AAA Test Prep bad?' just put their name there, and ask Google. That kind of search will help you see what you'll miss out on if you use that service.

Create your own schedule. If you don't work with schedules, like me, just outline what progress you want to get done that learning period. Break it down into weeks or days. For example, 3 complete Khan Academy Practice tests a week, 7( or 2) extra hours learning per week, etc. By the end of the week, get stuff done. I'll talk more on this later.

4. Relax and learn like your life depends on it.

Learn right, learn enough and don't stress yourself. I know people say the SAT doesn't matter. Honestly, I think if you can do anything to give you an edge in your college application process, do it to your best. So here's to more scholarships, acceptance letters and aced tests.

And as the saying goes, please like, comment, and recommend. It means a lot!!!!!