Chapter 6: She Doesn't Understand

Pizza was good. The cheese stuffed crust was better. I ate two pieces but saved both crusts for last. Angeline devoured her two pieces of pizza in seconds. When she reached for a third Mom said she wouldn't be able to sleep if she took another.

   I sigh as I watch TV. I flip through the channels. "STOP!!" Angeline says when I hit Spongebob Squarepants. I like Spongebob but not this episode.

   "No, it's my turn to watch--" the door bell rings. I jump up and run to the door. Tyler is standing on the porch, looking at the stars. "Tyler?"

   He turns around and smiles, "Dakota. Could you walk with me?" He takes my hand and guides me to his car. I get in on the passenger's side and strap myself down. The car roars to life and he speeds down the road.

   "Aren't we going a little fast?" I ask, holding on the seat for dear life.

   He laughs, "Yeah right!!" He stops at a lake. The moon is reflecting its light off the sparkling water. It's a breathtaking sight. There is a set of swings just in front of the lake. He leads me towards the swing set.

   We sit down and stare at the stars. "Beautiful," I breathe.

   "Not as beautiful as you."

   "Aww, you're sweet," I lightly punch his arm.

   He laughs and then turns serious, "You are." He leans towards me. What is he doing? Oh yeah. I lean towards him too. He lightly kisses me and then pulls away. I smile and then sigh. I get off the swing and head towards the lake.

   I hear Tyler is following behind. I sit on the gravel and grab a stick. "Whatca doin'?" he asks.

   "Are we... dating?" I ask.

   "Let me see... do I love you? Yes. Do you love me?"

   "Yes."

   "Then call me crazy but I think we're dating." He wraps his arm around me.

   "Tell me about Grandpa," I say after a while.

   "Why?"

   "Just conversation." And I also need to know more about him for... reasons.

   "Your Grandpa helped give birth to your Mom who gave birth to you."

   "That's a short story," I mutter, "Did you and Grandpa ever fight? The guy that claims he's my Grandpa wants me to stay away from you."

   "I told you he's not your Grandpa."

   "Who could it be, then?"

   "I've... upset people."

   "How many?" I ask.

   "Lost count."

   I groan playfully and he laughs. He kisses me again. "DAKOTA CANE!!! YOU GET YOU BUTT OVER HERE THIS INSTANT!!!" Mom screams. I pull away. I could feel my cheeks turning a dark shade of pink. I get up and brush the gravel off my jeans.

   I walk towards my Mom. I could feel Tyler following close behind. People are behind her. Looks like she got the whole neighbor hood to look for me.

   "Get in the car," she points to her old mini van. Tyler kisses my cheek goodbye. That seems to make my mom's face turn intirely red like a tomato. I get in the car and slam the door shut. "God," I hear her mutter, "How much more dramatic can she get?"

   She gets in and drives away. I wave bye to Tyler and she says, "No note? No phone call? How could I have known where you were? You could've died!!! You could've been kidnapped."