5. The Cat in the Cage

Fury burned so thickly in his veins all Adrien saw was red

Fury burned so thickly in his veins all Adrien saw was red. Gabriel's eyes widened and Adrien revealed at the shock flitting through them. He felt proud, strong and seen.

Marinette didn't deserve to be treated like that.

No one does.

Nathalie looked between them anxiously, no doubt sensing the growing tension in the room. Gabriel closed off his expression, hardening it into his usual facade. He inclined his head towards his assistant, but kept his eyes locked on Adrien. "Nathalie, would you excuse us? I need to speak to my son alone."

It wasn't a request. She knew that. They both did.

She bowed her head respectfully and made her way towards the dining hall. Hesitating in the archway, she frowned at Adrien, and disappeared from view into the other room.

His father closed in on him and Adrien's eyes snapped back to his. "You can be as angry as you like," he said, "It doesn't change the fact I simply did what was best for the both of you."

"And what was that?"

"I told her the truth, that she's a bad influence and that it's better if you two don't see each other anymore, both inside and outside of school."

Adrien balked. "You think Marinette's a bad influence? But you don't know anything about her!"

"And neither do you." His instincts hissed at him to back down, his father's tone demanding nothing but submission. Adrien stared at his father defiantly, but kept his mouth shut. "How well do you really know this girl? You've been at school for less than a year and you think she's something special?"

Gabriel readjusted his glasses, "Miss Bourgeois has known that girl for years, they've been in class together almost every year, and you can clearly see how well they get along. Not to mention how she was expelled for actively harming Miss Rossi – your other friend."

"That wasn't her. Marinette wouldn't do that," he said, "She's innocent."

"Your teacher pulled the test answers from her backpack. Miss Rossi's necklace fell out of her locker. Everyone at school saw it, including you. What other proof do you need?" Adrien gritted his teeth. "Such character isn't displayed by anyone worth knowing. The sooner you learn that, the better."

"She was framed!"

"Framed?" Gabriel scoffed, "Honestly Adrien, I can't help you if you refuse to see what's right in front of you. Yes, there may be superheroes in Paris, but life isn't a fairytale. Actions have consequences and people closest to you can still hurt you."

"Like you?" snapped Adrien.

Gabriel glared at him. "Everything I do is to protect you."

"To protect me? Is that what you call this?" Adrien swept his hand through the air, gesturing to the foyer. "You think keeping me locked in here, alone, was protecting me? I didn't have any friends before I went to school – a school you didn't want me to go to. I didn't have anyone to talk to, to laugh with."