Three

It had been a week or so since Dene had started attending our meetings.

After todays meeting was over, I make my way towards the table with the drinks.
I grab myself some hot tea in a to go cup, and head outside to my car.
Dene is standing outside, his back leaning against the wall. A cigarette perched between his plump lips.
His eyes snap up once he sees me, and he pushes himself off the wall.

"Lillie, was it?" He asked flicking his cigarette.
I arch my brow in question, annoyance building up in my chest. I just wanted to go home and curl up with my tea and look at my recent photos I took.
I nod my head at him and go to walk by him, he grabs my elbow softly, slight shocks dance across my skin at his touch.
I flinch away, startled at his touch.

"Sorry didn't mean to startle you, I was just going to ask if you wanted to go get a drink? I own the bar down the road." He says, raking his hand nervously through his wavy locks.
I stay quiet for a moment,
"Uhm why?" I ask him.

A smile makes its way to his face.
"Figured you could use a friend." Is all he says.
I think about it for a moment, biting my lip.
"Sure." I tell him

"Cool, we can walk there if you want? It's right down the road. I walked here. " He says, a small smile on his face. I noticed he had dimples.

"I drove here, so I don't really want to leave my car." I tell him a bit warily. I did just meet the man, even though I felt unusually safe in his presence that didn't mean I would just walk off with him.
The sun was setting and the South Carolina breeze brushed by me.

I fiddle with the straps of my camera,
"I can give you a ride" I tell him, he nods and follows me to my car.
A few minutes later we pull up to a small brightly lit bar, D's Tavern was lit up in bright green lights.
I follow Dene into the bar quietly.
I watch as he walks behind the bar,
The interior was just as bright as the outside. Neon lights littered the place and it gave off a classy vibe. Unlike most bars which are normally dark and dingy.
"So what'll be?" He asks me, a smirk on his face makes his dimples pop out.
"Jack and coke." I say simply.
I turn around as he makes my drink, and find myself craving to take a picture of his bar.
So I do.
"What's with the camera, if you don't mind me asking?" Dene says as he places my drink in front of me, he grabs a beer for himself before sitting beside me.
I take a big gulp of my drink, it burns slightly as it goes down.
"I've always liked pictures." I tell him, he always seems to have the curious look on his face when he stares at me.
He shrugs his shoulders,
"Makes sense." He says

"So how long have you lived here?" He asks me, making conversation.
"All of my life, Owen loved South Carolina so we never moved." I tell him freely, my heart clenched as I say Owens name.

"Who's Owen?" Dene asks me, taking a sip of his beer.
"Owen was my boyfriend." Is all I say in reply.
Dene's eyes look at me sadly,
"I'm sorry I didn't know."

"No it's okay, I never said his name at the meetings." I tell him.
Dene cracks a joke to try to change the subject and I find myself laughing slightly at his antics.

It felt good to laugh again.