It's time

It's time

It was finally time to tell her mother.

Miw had procrastinated this task for weeks and months now, but she was six months in now and everyone could see she was pregnant. There was probably no one who would tell her mother about it, but it was a small island, so it wasn't impossible.

Six months had been a lot of time to get used to this thought of becoming a mother. Six months full of doubt and promises not to become her own mother. To be a better parent to her child and give it a better childhood than she had had herself.

Which shouldn't be difficult regarding her partners and her situation at the moment. To have financial stability, to have two loving partners who stood with her. It was like a dream, had been a dream for some years now, but somehow Miw still feared waking up.

So, telling her own mother, the very reason for her fears, about the child, was an extra special task. An especially hard task.

First she hadn't wanted to do it at all, but with all those hormones and the knowledge about it really happening, she couldn't avoid it any longer. In fact, it seemed inevitable.

And truth to be said, her mother hadn't been the mother of the year, but she'd still tried to protect her daughter from being caught.

„Maybe the child will help you reconnect? Or at least work through your problems?"

Shin was lying next to her, holding her as close as possible.

„I'm not sure I want us to ..."

„I know you do, Miw. But I understand why you rather wouldn't. It hurts ..."

With everyone else she would have replied already how much they didn't understand, but Shin did. He'd tried so much to reconnect with his father, he'd barely survived it. Which was why she could trust his words.

„So what exactly are you afraid of?"

Miw thought about it, sinking even more into his arms. Here she was safe. Here she didn't have to be strong and savage. She liked being strong and savage, but sometimes she needed her safe haven.

His words made her think. Usually she would have probably snapped something generic, but he wouldn't want such an answer.

„I'm afraid she will make me feel guilty about something. As if I should not be pregnant. As if she might think me a hoe. I'm afraid she won't support me and we will forever fight. Or maybe I'm afraid she will be a bad influence for the baby and me. And I might become a mother like her."

„You can't know how it will be, Miw. But you can try your best and you're already doing it. You've chosen your partners well, haven't you? And you said yes to this baby although you could have had the chance to say no."

Miw smiled at Shin and put a hand at his cheek: „I chose carefully and well, yes."

Shin smiled back and gave her a short peck on her nose: „Tell her those fears. Tell her what you're afraid of and what you wish for. Afterwards it's her turn to decide which role she'd like to play in your life and our childs life. And be assured. If she tries to pull some shit, she'll have to deal with Neo and me. After you, because I've never once seen you tolerate shit."

„Also true."

Her heart got a little lighter, even though none of her fears had actually been removed. But he was right. She couldn't be sure of any of it beforehand, but she could make sure her mother knew what she expected. She was her mother after all. And at least she hadn't pulled shit like Thana.