What they want

What they want

„I want to move in with Pa."

Two sets of irritated faces turned towards her, watching her with blinking eyes. Like owls, she guessed. Yiwha was happy she hadn't started the conversation earlier, or she would have had four owls with her and at least Kao would have asked to come with her. But she didn't want to have him with her. And she didn't want to be asked stupid questions.

„I'm going to move to Pa."

„But ... why?"

Her mother was slowly coming to her senses while her father was still speechless, his hand still at his chin, scratching his beard.

„I've been living long enough with you. I don't see Pa for weeks and he's probably lonely."

Yiwha had decided on it the last time he'd visited. When he'd hugged her goodbye, she thought she'd seen too much sadness in her eyes. And anyway, he was living in the city instead of on a small island with nothing but sand and the sea in front of him. Once she'd go to school in the city she'd meet a lot more people and ...

„Did we do something wrong?"

Her father had apparently finally found his voice again. Which was a surprise. Usually he wasn't shy with his words. But he'd obviously connected the wrong dots.

„No. I just want to live with him."

Her mother sat down next to her, carefully watching her body language. Yiwha was happy she did that. Because she didn't want to be touched or hugged right now. She only wanted to be taken seriously. And be listened to.

„You haven't spend as much time with him as you would habe liked, haven't you?"

Yiwha looked down, avoiding her parents eyes: „He's barely here. And when he visits I have to share him with all of you. It just isn't fair."

With a sigh her father stopped scratching his beard. He still hadn't gotten used to it yet.

„Believe it or not, but I understand you."

„Do you? You've had him to yourself before we were born."

„But he wasn't here very often. And once you were born we had to share him quite often. But that's okay, because we love you and he loves you as well."

Yiwha rolled her eyes: „I know..."

„What I actually wanted to say is, we understand you. We're just surprised. Don't you want to try moving in with him during the holidays first?"

She knew it! They didn't want to let her go to him.

„Why don't you want me to go? Do you think I will be too nosy? Don't you want me to have fun?"

Her parents shared a look, before turning back to her.

„No, Yiwha. We just think you should try it first. He's been used to living alone till now and you're used to something else. He's working a lot and I'm not sure he has the space to take you in."

„He's rich, isn't he? He gives us a lot of money so we can be comfortable, so why shouldn't he have enough space?"

Another shared look.

„Is there something you don't tell me?"

Finally her father decided to speak again: „Shin doesn't want us to come and visit him. He preverses to visit us. We've kind of given up asking him about it. Maybe it's because of work, maybe it's because he actually has another life in the city."