Chapter 1

Pawel's Pov♤  

3 Years Later~

"It's too loud,"  I whined to my friend Piotr.  

I hate loud sounds.  They make me feel like my brain is about to explode.  Who can be happy when they can't hear themselves think?  

Piotr my best friend since birth decided to sneak me into a tavern so we could see what all the fuss was about.  People were practically yelling so they could understand what their neighbors were saying.  

Piotr had blonde hair that was pulled back in a small ponytail.  His lips were constantly in a playful smirk and could be counted as cocky.  He has dark grey eyes, an elfin nose and big eyes that stuck out on his head.  All the other boys would make fun of him for his girlie features.

They make fun of me too, but since we are nearly inseparable now they leave us alone.  Well, for the most part unless they have a group bigger than ours.  

"No, it's not.  If you were able to handle all those drunken sailors,"  Piotr paused to look at a pretty prostitute as she walked by, "you can handle being here."

"That was different,"  I snapped my fingers in front of his face to get his attention, "I don't like it here."

"Just give it a chance," he said.  As an afterthought he added, "it will give you a chance to step out of your bubble."  

I huffed and rolled my eyes.  Being in this dingy tavern with nothing but alcohol and whores was not something I wanted to spend a night on.  Dresses were too short and left nothing to the imagination with the cleavage that only covered the necessities.

"I'm going to go get some fresh air."  I told him wanting an excuse to leave. He's a bit tipsy, so he shouldn't notice if I don't come back.  

The only reason he was able to get ahold of some drinks was because he was 2 years older than me.  Some of the older men thought it would be funny to see a 14 year old get drunk and bought him some drinks.  

He didn't even have to ask.  Rolling my eyes I quicken my pace to get out of the tavern.  The wooden decor was 200 years out of style, and far from welcoming.

I mutter out an apology as a bump into someone.

Once I made it outside I stood on the side of the building and took in deep breaths.  It was nearly dark out now, which didn't do much to calm my nerves but at least I had smoke free air.

"What's a young lad like you doing out here?"  The strange man slurred.  

He is a bit hard to see because of the darkness but I'm able to make out that he was much taller than me.  The man was like a goddamn giant, even with his back hunched. light reflected off his eyes, almost catlike, and I could just barely make out a smile.

"Going home,"  I said. This is kinda freaking me out.

I unattached myself from the side of the tavern, that I didn't know I was clinging to.  Attempting to walk past him I headed towards my temporary home, which I had since I had been sent inland for schooling.

As I walked by he grabbed onto my arm.  His grip was strong and sturdy, I could smell the booze oozing off of him.

If I wasn't scared before I definitely was now.  There was no way I would win if it came down to a fight now.  Not to mention my slight fear of the dark that made me wish to run back into the stuffy old tavern for Piotr.  He would know what to do now.

"I can walk you there."

"No thank you sir,"  I tried to decline politely.  

His grip hardened, and he reached inside my front pocket.  Then took off running leaving me standing in the dark alone and petrified.