X.

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

ᴛʜᴏꜱᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ᴜꜱ

   WHEN ADA HAD eventually left, she mulled the idea of opening the letter perched on her wooden table. It infuriated her that it caused so much disdain for her emotional well-being, but Joshua had always been quite vice. Well, he had always hated Martha to put it simply. Whether it was due to her stealing her parents' attention the day she was born, being blessed with wonderful friends throughout childhood, being the pride to both halves of the family, learning everything she did with exceptional speed, the enchantment of beauty and grace, or the fact she was to inherit the family business and fortune - she hadn't figured out which it was. However, Joshua could've had all of these if he wasn't completely insufferable. He may have changed, it had been years since she had seen him. But Westbrooks' knew how to hold a grudge. Every one of them, Martha included, was stubborn to no means.

   With a slight huff of annoyance, she gave in to her desire and grabbed the letter. Martha Westbrook. It had been a long time since she'd heard that name, never mind seeing it jotted down in front of her. Did she burn it? Nothing good would come of it, let's be honest. But she had the Harper intrigue, the desire to know. So, she carefully flipped the envelope and carefully ripped the sealed paper to pull out the letter.

Dear Martha,

My cry for help may be a surprise
but I had no one else to
turn to for this. You are the only
one I can trust at this time and
I hope you don't hold any resentment
toward me. I am sorry
as I am no better than he. But Joshua
is the reason that I wrote
to you and if you receive this letter
then I believe you will also
need my help too. He knows.
Beware of that Inspector as he has
a vendetta based on a paid contract.
That is all I can say via post
as I can't face endangering the
pair of us even further.
I am the reward for Mr
Campbell with a beautiful dowry in return
for your head. I will be at the
Epsom races in the weeks coming,
find me there. It will be the
only time I will get space from him.
Stay safe and I send all of my love!

- Emilia

   That wasn't what she had expected. Her hand grazed over the name. A feeling so strange to her had sunk into her chest. Was this even real? She couldn't be sure. Her little sister had become a mere memory. The girl was in fact a stranger at this point. Well, she'd be a woman now: nineteen. She wrote with such poise, it was hope that she'd had a good few years here without her. Better than what Martha had, that's what she wanted to believe at least. But all that seemed to be changing. In no way had it surprised her, Joshua had always been foul, even as children. But with his money stored in her multitude of bank accounts, there was a fair reason he'd want her head. The man seemed to favour Emilia but one should never expect love from a man like him. This could help. Campbell may not be so smart, it was Joshua who knew of her mother and her mother's name, he got the record. Did that worry her? Slightly, it would be far easier for him to uncover all her aliases unlike the Inspector. Now, she was one up on him. Martha knew. That was a start. But Julia's name had been on that list sent up from London. So how much did he know? Waiting for the perfect time to lurch, this could be her most violent game with her brother yet.

Rain pounded against the thin windows, washing the last of the drunks home early. She'd rather enjoyed nights like these where she'd have the chance to lock up early. Though the lively atmosphere was always a distraction, she liked her alone time. Cleaning the tables wasn't an easy task in this pub so doing it without drunken hassle was by far her favourite. And she could close without Flynn's nagging, he was out of town currently with Jack so she was getting away with wondering the sullen streets alone. As dangerous as it appeared to be, everyone in this town was sleeping or was in an alcohol induced coma by the time she left. The streets where bare. It was strange to live in such a place where she now worried so little.