XI.

"FIXING RACES WITHOUT asking!" Polly roared from her leaned position at the kitchen counter. "Does he want his head on a bloody pike!" She continued, her eyes flicking from John to Flynn to Jack. The three men sat around the table in silence. Martha barely looked up from her book yet was listening intently. There was word out, Billy Kimber was furious. "And where the hell is Arthur? Isn't he supposed to be making these decisions."

"That barmaid is making him all soft and soppy!" John explained, folding his arms across his chest. A small silenced followed, causing Martha to look up from her book. Sure enough everyone was looking her way, Flynn with mighty daggers.

"Well it isn't me!" She defended, watching the fury in Flynn's eyes diminish. "She's called Grace, she's quite sweet. I think it could do him some good." The woman explained as Flynn and Jack had been away on 'business'. Cuttings, mostly.

"It won't matter who's what if Kimber's men are on their way." Flynn explained, he was the one who brought the news of the upset. "Ought to prepare the boys." He said, more directed at John who nodded in agreement. "The Garrison," He proposed, catching Martha's attention. "Are you working?" To that she nodded. "Right, I want you gone by the time he's there." Flynn established, nodding at Jack as if that was his role to get her out.

"I'll get Tommy and Arthur." John said, standing up and heading out with Polly hot on his tail.

"By the cut in thirty." Flynn told his brother before standing up and heading out the house in the same manner as John had.

"Scared Jackie?" Martha teased her cousin who's leg was shaking up and down under the table. To that, he laughed as his leg planted firmly down.

"Scared of a man who was beaten up by his own whore?" The boy mused, watching as Martha's mouth twitched upwards. "I think I have greater odds." There was a rumour circulating those of the races and the betting shops of the night that Billy Kimber had been left for dead. It was a thief, it was a competitor, it was a harlot he had hired. Though, he had unfortunately survived. But the story was never dared spoken about in case they angered the man. However, no one knew the truth. All but one. The one who did it.

   "Holy shit." The pub settled at the doors pulling open, though they knew all with respect had already piled into the snug. "It's Billy Kimber." The man closest to the door let out without a second thought. His men piled in behind him as he looked around the dreary pub, disdain clear on his features.

  "Is there any man here named Shelby?" Kimber demanded, the crowd breaking into hush whispered. They wouldn't give them up. "I said, is there any man here named Shelby? Harper even?" He repeated himself and the door of the snug crept open which revealed five men in flap caps.

   "Grace, get these men a drink. Everyone else, go home." Tommy stated, watching the back door to the cellar swing open. There was a bunch of footsteps as everyone took their places.

   "I've never approved of women in pubs but when they look like that..." Kimber commented as the barmaid placed down the drinks on the table. He was eyeing her up like some sort of prey.

   "You, go home." Martha spoke, pulling Grace to the side once she had returned. Eyes of Jack and Flynn burned into her but there was nothing they could do to get her out now, they were facing off with a man each.

   "But Mr Shelby said..."

   "I said go home." Martha returned, taking the bottle of whiskey out of her hand. "I can't promise your safety as much as mine. I'll take care of it." She offered but Grace was hesitant, eyes flickering back to the group that was talking. But she nodded and headed for the back door.