E03S05 - Christmas Spirit [Doyoung]

Christmas invaded the entire town. Streets, houses, and businesses filled up with lights and decorations showing the happy spirit of everyone. Other places were adorned with things that signified Hanukkah or Kwanza.

Doyoung started from the only window that was not broken in the floor. His only companion being a small tree he decorated with things he found around the lower floors. It had been years since he had come across this season with someone else.

"Merry Christmas!" announced a man dressed like Santa standing in front of a store.

Doyoung blinked as he came out of his trance. He was getting inside his own head again.

A few clicks took his attention. He turned around and stood up. Someone was opening the only door in the entire place. He frowned.

The door creaked open and Doyoung hid behind a pillar. After the many incidents involving him appearing, he definitely did not want to get another "exorcism" or "Cleansing". The place usually smelled awful after that and it was not very easy for him to clean it up.

"Hello?" Someone called.

Doyoung furrowed his eyebrows as he processed the voice.

"Doyoung? Are you there?" Doyoung's eyes went wide. He moved slowly as he tried to see the newcomer.

The door creaked close. The sound of plastic bags bounced in echoes as the floor was open almost entirely.

"I brought some food," The person said.

Doyoung peeked from behind a wall and almost yelped. Taeyong. The person that came to visit him was Taeyong.

"Some of the others are coming as well, but it will take much longer to get here" Taeyong chuckled. "Lucky for you, I came back a few days ago"

Doyoung walked out slowly as he tried to put his thoughts in order. Were they coming to see him?

The floor creaked loudly as Doyoung stepped on one of the planks. He cursed under his breath as Taeyong looked up. Doyoung smiled awkwardly as Taeyong looked at him with wide eyes.

"You are still here" Taeyong trailed off. His eyes lowered slowly as a frown formed on his face. "You must have been lonely" He breathed out as he looked back up.

Doyoung had walked backward, all the way to the other wall.

"Sorry if I scared you" He trailed off the same speech he had said many times.

Taeyong smiled softly.

"No... you only surprised me" He answered as he put the bags down.

Doyoung tilted his head as he followed Taeyong's movements.

"Come sit down with me," Taeyong said as he began to crouch. "Jaehyun and Johnny will arrive shortly."

Doyoung nodded as he approached his slowly. Taeyong looked forward and blinked a couple of times. He could see through Doyoung's legs.

Doyoung sat down and sighed. This was new.

"When was the last time someone came here?" Taeyong asked, genuinely curious.

"Last month," Doyoung said. "To burn sage all over the place"

His tone was dry and distant. Taeyong could see his friend's doubts and sadness even though he was not seeing him fully.

"All of us miss you," Taeyong said. "Some even feel guilty for what happened to you"

Doyoung by instinct looked at his arms and sighed. His legs straightened as his mind wandered back to the day of his death. As if he didn't think of it every day.

"We have no idea how we didn't see the fire coming," Taeyong said as honestly as he could. "All we knew was that you didn't come out fully"

Doyoung looked forward as he spotted the small, half decorated tree-like plant.

"I try to at least keep the spirit" Doyoung said followed by a somewhat bitterly laugh. "At least that's what I tell myself"

Taeyong turned his head and located the potted plant. He smiled as he stood up and walked towards it. He grabbed it carefully and picked it up. Only one ornament hanged from one of the few strong branches. Ribbon and pieces of paper rested on the rest of it while an origami star sat at the top.

Taeyong turned around and brought it to where he was previously.

"You are very practical" He laughed. "It achieves its purpose"

Taeyong sat down as Doyoung stared at him.

"Do you really feel guilty?" He asked solemnly.

Taeyong paused and sighed. "Yes."

He looked up and stared at Doyoung in the eye.

Doyoung nodded as he looked forward again, losing himself in his thoughts.

"Taeyong said there is only one door!" A very familiar voice spoke.

"Where is it then!?" Johnny answered.

Doyoung couldn't help but smile at the mindless bickering Johnny was having with Mark.

Taeyong smiled.

"They'll get here soon enough," Taeyong said. "The food will guide them"

Doyoung laughed at his friend's words. It was not particularly funny, but joy filled him as he heard the pair bicker. Just like the old times.

"Merry Christmas!!" Jaehyun yelled from the door. "Why aren't you inside yet?"

"We were looking for the door!" Mark said.

Taeyong smiled wide as he stood up to help his friends get there. Doyoung looked at his little tree as smiled warmly.

"Hel-" Jaehyun said loudly. "Where Doyoung?"

"The other way," Taeyong said.

Doyoung could only chuckle as he looked up. Jaehyun was looking the other way with his arms wide open. Mark peeked inside and gasped as he saw Doyoung.

"Can you all go in?" Johnny said. "I wanna see too"

Doyoung stood up as he looked at them with a smile.

It had been a long time since he felt so happy. This was probably the first time in years.