Chapter 4

One night something worried me.

That night we went to 'McDonalds' for chicken burgers.

The restaurant was almost empty.

I ordered two burgers.The waiter gave me a surprised look.

Even while I enjoyed eating any talking to Dona, the waiter kept looking at me somewhat puzzled.

"Why is that waiter checking us again and again? Are we doing something odd?" I whispered to Dona.

"You and I together. Isn't that funny?" Dona said with a mysterious smile.

I didn't like it.

There was one more puzzle. Whenever we returned from a date she would not wish 'Good Night' until I had opened the door of my apartment and got inside.

I had never seen her entering her ground floor house.

One moonlit night we were taking a walk along the river Mississippi bank.

I asked Dona just by the way that why she always kept her pretty neck wrapped in by muffler.

She tried to put me off. The, suddenly she took off her muffler.

A chill ran through me.

Her neck appeared to be glued back after severing off the head.

A thin line of blood ran around her neck to mark the cut.

"Scared?" Dona's voice dragged me back to senses.

"N..n..no. It's better if you put the muffler back." My tongue sponged my drying lips.

"Infact, I was operated upon recently" she said. "The wound has healed up but the scar remains."

She added, "I cover it up with my muffler or else would die of fright like you almost did"

I was ashamed of myself.

Dona never met me in the morning.

According to her, she worked in a firm that did it's business in the morning.

She would come to me in the evenings.