Part One: Relationships

I emerged from my room, having bathed and gotten ready for the day with plenty of time before school started. I thought about the night before, when Todoroki had come to my door. I'd wanted to say something, but the pain I'd felt when I'd heard Kirishima and Bakugou talk had been multiplied by ten. 

I'd been too exhausted to do anything afterwards, followed by the usual emotionlessness and had just turned off the lights and gotten into bed, hoping he'd just leave. I'd looked up at the ceiling, thinking about the strange pain. I didn't understand... why that was the only thing I ever felt. Now I just wanted to get away for an hour or so I could go back to the numbness.

"D*mmit, Akuma, why're you up so f*cking early?" came Bakugou's voice. I gritted my teeth against the twinge of discomfort.

"I'm just going for a walk," I said casually over my shoulder.

"Going for a walk my *ss."

"I'm just going to pick up some medical supplies. There are a few injuries I have from Kamino that still haven't healed yet." I still refused to turn around and look him in the eyes.

"Fine," he said. "I guess you won't mind if I come, then." I groaned inwardly. I knew if I protested he'd just become suspicious, but now I'd have to be even more careful about what I bought.

"Just hurry your *ss up," I said, sitting down on one of the couches in the lounge. In a few minutes he had returned, ready to go. We walked in awkward silence for a few blocks, and even though I could tell he was sneaking sideways glances at me, I kept my eyes down on the ground.

"What the h*ll. What the f*cking h*ll. We need to know what is happening with you. It's like we never knew you. You told us... but it wasn't everything. Then you decided to tell that idiot Iida everything. Instead of us. Your friends. Then something must've gone to h*ll because next thing I f*cking know, you're about to try to kill one of us." Then he paused, and said quieter, "And you did kill one of us."

I sensed him looking at me, but said nothing, so he continued.

"Why didn't you f*cking say something?"

I kept my gaze down, stayed silent.

"WHY THE H*LL WON'T YOU ANSWER ME?!" he yelled, shoving me against the wall of a building and forcing me to look him in the eyes. I felt a knife go through my heart when I looked into his crimson orbs. I searched through them and saw something like pain. I wonder if it was something similar to what I had just felt.

"Don't touch me," I said, blowing him back with a single blast of his quirk. Ignoring his angry yells of indignation, I continued towards my destination, ignoring the bewildered stares I got from passerby. The hothead trailed along behind me for a block or two before leaving, likely heading back to the dorms.

Once I arrived at the medical supply store, I bought some basic bandages and ointment. I would have felt relieved if I could that Bakugou had believed me so easily. My injuries had healed pretty much completely, although I was still a little weak from the toll All-Might's quirk had taken on my body. No, I'd be needing these later.

Later that day

"Yari, wait," called Aizawa as the class left for the day. "So..." started the teacher. He looked at me from across his desk. "The results came in. You probably won't be able to get it back. The quirk that put whatever it was inside your head made it so it fed off of your emotions, so that's what they had to remove."

I touched my arm, remembering how everything had come alive for the split second when the knife had broken my skin. It had mostly been grief over Shinso, and how I was distancing myself from others... but there were good things too. Elation over just feeling. And hope. Hope that someone could help me. And how much I loved Shouto. 

Over and over I'd felt bursts, until blood was dripping into the floor of my bathroom. It stung now, but it reminded me that there was still a chance, no matter what Aizawa said.

Maybe he's wrong, I thought. Maybe if I keep doing this... I'll be able to feel again.

"Akuma?" Aizawa's voice broke in.

"Oh, sorry," I said. "What were you saying?"

"I was asking you if you cared if I disclosed the information to the class tomorrow. It would probably be good for them to know, and they'd probably figure it out way or another anyways," he said, something like caution underlying his voice.

"Whatever," I said, standing up. "Thanks."

I walked back to the dorms and got my homework done, then pried up a floorboard in my room, taking out the bandages and ointment, along with the knife I'd used. I unraveled the bandage from my arm, and it crackled, dried blood coating it. I'd barely removed it when a knock came in my door.

"Akuma! You wanna come to a movie with us?"

Kirishima, I thought.

"I-uh, have some work to do!" I called back.

"Don't you usually have it done by now?"

"Uh- yeah, I just meant on my room!"

"Great, I'll come help," he said, starting to turn the doorknob.

Sh*t, I thought. I stuffed everything back in and straightened up, hiding my arm behind my back.

"I thought you were decorating," said Kirishima, frowning as he entered the room. 

"I meant I was going to go get some supplies to do it," I said, lying easily. 

"Ooh, can I come with you then?" he asked.

"Sure. Let me change quick. I'll meet you out in the common room, okay?"

"Okay!" he walked back out and I took a deep breath. I re-bandaged my arm and pulled on a long sleeved shirt and jacket before walking out. I'd have to be more careful from now on.