E-L-O-V | (Sad Boi) Hui

Four short stories, or one larger story, about Hui. And love.

E

- Spring 2020 -

Eeeeee. It's too spicy, Hui thought.

His eyes began to water and he bit his lip.

He continued to pick up another serving with his chopsticks though, enjoying the taste of his instant noodles. He sat outside of a grocery store, grabbing a quick snack after heading home from the studio. It was 10pm, early for him what some would consider late at night.

He tried to remember what the doctor had said. Sleep before 11pm, Don't overwork yourself...

And that's what he was doing. Sure, it felt strange to be alone, but he wasn't lonely. He had never been. He was always ambitious, but selfless as opposed to selfish. A combination that made him take care of others too much, people doing the same for him only after noticing he had reached a breaking point.

Hui stared down at the styrofoam cup in his hands, eyeing the list of chemical names across the nutrition label.

He grimaced. This probably wasn't the healthiest thing to buy.

But it was a start.

He was learning to take care of himself.

...And eat.

L

- Summer 2017 -

"LIKe ThIs OOOHh OOOOO...."

Hui's voice burst through the studio speakers as he played the demo for a song he was working on.

"Wait- What are these verses?" Hyunggu laughed. "Random English words?"

"I haven't come up with the exact lyrics yet!" Hui whined, but smiled. "I'm still thinking what would best represent Pentagon..."

"I could ask the other members what they think for inspiration," Hyunggu suggested. "Yuto's slam poetry might even help."

"You don't have to bother them," Hui reassured. Words flooded his head already. It was only a matter of putting them onto paper. 

"Oh! But for the last chorus, Jinho-" Hui faced the eldest who sat in the studio with them, "I want to add a high note for you..."

"Oh, really?" Jinho replied, surprised. "Do you have the melody for it?"

Hui nodded. "I'll finish producing the demo later so you can start practicing."

"Ok, take your time."

Hui nodded absentmindedly again. "I just have such a good feeling about this song." He had been working in the studio more than usual lately, running on a joyful adrenaline from songwriting. "I hope it will make it into the album."

"Aw yeah, it will!" Wooseok shouted. He had been dancing in his seat along to the demo the whole time. "This could even be the title track."

Hui's eyes deepened with newfound determination for this comeback. He knew Yanan would be back too. They'd all be together. His heart felt so full with ideas and excitement.

I hope I never lose this feeling.

O