Madam Marie

Madam Marie's POV

Despite the fact that I am known by every soul that resides in Rothemer, I hardly ever leave the castle grounds. The journey to Mirabel was tiresome and ludicrous. Half of the White Council had voted for our Head of Queen's Guard to stay behind. The other half, nearly pushed her out the door. We had to summon Camilia to break the tie. She chose to tag along instead. The decision had been made with haste, and before I could warn her of the dangers, she had already collected a squad of poorly trained elementals in Queen's Guard Armor.

Aarad stands before me, an obvious product of adultery. My parents were pureblood fire elementals, while his mother was a traitorous guardian. In a moment of passion, our parents met up with haste, and created another thorn in my backside.

"Madam Marie..." Aarad attempts to break the silence.

"You may stop with the formalities while we reside within these walls." My eyes rack the tent with disgust. Aarad opens his mouth to say something, but then closes it quickly. His eyes resemble a puppy's, begging not to be scolded. The silence draws on, and his puppy eyes are soon replaced with a glazed expression. The tent's zipper slides down and two huge cats poke their sleek black heads inside. My heart rate noticeably picks up, and they sniff the air. The first cat exhales and stalks toward me. My body fights for control as it settles behind me. Its breath comes in steady bursts above my shoulder.

The second cat seemed to be waiting for something, or someone. It let out an impatient yowl and sat back on its haunches. Seconds later, a woman appears and flashes a pleasant smile. She skillfully glides over the cat and tent's zipper, managing to gracefully position herself beside Aarad.

"And who is this?" Mild surprise leaks from my voice like a garden hose, ending when she laughs.

"I am Evalynn. Wife and Birth Partner of Commander Aarad." She states proudly, eyeing the cat behind me.

"I see." I simply state. She shifts slightly on her silk laced pillow to reveal a baby bump. A blush creeps up on her face and she giggles to herself.

Uninterested in Evalynn, I catch Aarad's eye.

"What business do you have with bounty hunters?" Aarad straightens his back and scowls slightly.

"The first Guardian selected by a Divinity from the White Council, calls for extreme measures." Aarad grasps Evalynn's hand and places his free hand on her stomach.

Evalynn continues for him, "I believe the time has come for the Guardian's to have a chance to rule." Her soft features and pale eyes plead me to agree. I hold back a laugh.

"No matter the circumstances, the ways of selection have always been the same. We select three females who we believe are fit to rule, we teach them the ways of queenhood, and then we toss them into the Arena." My tone deepens and menace coats my voice. "We have NEVER allowed the killing of Queens before the age of 16!" The cat behind me growls and I look back with flames in my eyes. The cat raises a paw and is quickly shut down by Aarad's angry voice.

Evalynn shrinks back into her husband's arms, protectively shielding her unborn child from me. Her soft features turn to butter, and a single tear slips from her right eye.

"Imagine the technology we could produce with a Guardian on the throne. As a people, we could build homes for our children. Who would want to live like this?" She points towards the opened door. Through it, I spot a line of smaller tents, with nothing beside them other than filthy children wrestling in the dirt. A particularly rough group rolls down into a fire pit, laughing as they wipe ashes from their hair.

"Kidnapping a queen is not the way to solve your problems. If Lucretia is anything like the two of you, she would be Rothemer's worst nightmare in the making."