Arlette

"Emery is dead!"

A child's wail broke through the earth shattering silence, voicing the thoughts of everyone in Pineville.

The assembly of people posted out front, demanded answers from the poor child. The child sunk back and stared off into the distance.

"Who is he? I ain't never seen em 'round ere!" One of the villagers hollered.

"You can't go around saying things that aren't true!" A few others joined in.

The day was new, so new the roosters have yet to wake up Pineville. I had just stepped foot outside, in search of Bennett's golden retriever.

"Here girl!" I called desperately. Squinting back at the crowd, they were bracing themselves.

The boy seemed at a loss for words.

"Cat gotcha tongue? Speak child or yer parents will ere o' this!" A man shook his finger at the child and jabbed him in the side.

"Alright! Alright!" The child stood taller. "I saw it with my own eyes!" He said in a foreign accent. Everyone within hearing distance hushed another and encouraged the boy to go on.

"I was travelin through these words aye, and she came across me. Said she was runnin for dear life!" His eyes glazed over. "Right before I could ask why, she fell at my feet!"

"Yeah, yeah. Get to it son!" Someone urged.

"I will if ya let me! Anyhow, I swooped the girl into my arms, to discover a cut. She's been stabbed. I held her for as long as time would allow...." A few started to cry. "I dragged her up against a tree, and covered her face."

Question after question was shot in his face. Each met with a curt reply.

The Earth family emerged from the crowd. Willus took the boy by the shoulder and stared him in the eyes. The moment was brief and meaningful. He whispered something in the boy's ear and Mildred embraced him.

"Why didn't you bring her back here?" Jade yelled. She refused to touch the boy. "Why did you leave her to rot in the forest?" Her steady voice turned angry. "She deserved a burial at least."

"The weight of her and my pack was too much." He leveled his gaze. "Look, I can show you where she is, if you'd like."

I turned away before I could hear her response.

I stepped up onto the porch and the wood beneath me nearly caved in. Looking around, I took the time to truly take in the state of my brother's house. Compared to the others in the streets, the house looked to me like it was stuck together by elbow grease and spit. A thin sheet of tin was shaped in a 'v' shape to resemble a roof. The walls were made of pine wood, with grass stuffed in holes created from rot. The interior was made of dirt and whatever else Bennett and I could come up with.

Quietly shutting the door, I lit a candle and searched for my brother. The flame created an ocean of dancing shadows. Luckily I've been in and out of this house my whole life. It was easy to distinguish one room from the other.

Shuffling towards my brother's room, I sighed. Taking a few moments to compose myself, I knocked on the door.

"Come in." His response was groggy.

I cracked the door open and averted my eyes.

"Want me to make you anything?"

"What do we have?"

"I could make you eggs and bacon."

"We only have one egg and no bacon."

"Will one egg do until I head down to the chicken coup?"