2. young folks [Lauren]

And we don't care aboutour own faults
Talking 'bout our own style

I watched Jessa leave our house, her long hair trailing behind like a cape.

"Wow, she was hot!" Ashton said behind me. I turned around and punched him in the arm. Unfortunately, he had bulked up from all the drumming so it probably didn't hurt him.

"Seriously? The one friend I make and you have to like her." At school, I'm labeled known as the freak. No one wants to talk to me except Calum and Luke, and they aren't even my friends. They're Ashton's.

Loud music woke me from my little daydream. I saw a familiar old impala pull into our driveway. Ashton must have left me here. A head of newly dyed blue hair got out of the driver's seat. A blonde giraffe and highlighted puppy followed.

Michael, Luke, and Calum walked up to the front door where I was still standing in the doorway.

"Hey Laur, where's Ashton?" Michael asked me.

"Probably in his room." I let the boys in and they ran upstairs.

"C'mon Lauren." Calum said and pulled me with him.

Ashton was lying in his bed listening to music with his eyes closed. Michael motioned to be quiet and he began tickling Ash. High pitched girly giggles filled the room.

"Hey guys. Why are you hear, Lauren?" Ash asked me quizzically.

"I brought her. Michael has an announcement." Calum said quickly.

"Okay, Mikey. What is it?" Ashton asked.

"I met a girl." Michael said. We all gasped because in all the years of knowing Michael, he's never had a girlfriend. We actually thought he was gay for a few months.

"What's she like?" I asked.

"She's amazing. She makes me laugh and she's really sarcastic. I really only talked to her for about 10 minutes, but it was a love at first sight thing." he replied, eyes looking off into the distance.

"Aw she sounds great! When can we meet her?" Luke asked.

"That's the thing. I don't know anything about her. I just sat next to her on the plane." he said sadly.

"Cheer up, we'll find her. You don't know anything about her?" Calum asked.

"I know she's American. She just moved here. I forgot her name, it started with a 'J'. Jessie or something. I was kind of distracted by her beautiful stormy grey eyes." uh oh. Ashton and I shared a look. He shook his head quickly. Why didn't he want to tell his friend that Jessa was about 20 feet away right now?

"That's pretty vague. We'll start our search for you right away." Ashton said and faked a smile. What?

I suddenly realized that Calum knew Jessa. I quickly clamped my hand over his mouth before he could say anything.

"Calum and my sister need to have a word with me outside." Ash said quickly.

He dragged us to the hallway.

"Don't say anything about Jessa to Michael!" he said fiercely.

"Why?" Calum asked.

"Just do it. We'll tell him eventually, I promise." Ash said and we walked back into the room.

"What was that?" Luke asked.

"Nothing," we all said at the same time.

"O-kay...well if you know anything, you'll tell me. Right?"

"Of course." Ash said quickly.

"Absolutely." Calum said and smiled.

"Obviously." I said, not making eye contact with Michael.

"Okay good. I have to go home now. Even though I dropped out of school, my dad still makes me go to work." Michael said.

"I'm going too." Luke said.

"See you at school." Calum said to me and left.

~next day~

Thank god it was Saturday. I decided to spend the whole day relaxing. Once I woke up, I saw the time was 10:30. Mum's cooking drew my downstairs.

When I got downstairs, I found Ashton and Harry eating at the table and talking about some football game. I grabbed a plate of pancakes and smothered them in syrup and butter.

Just before I was going to take a bite, the doorbell rang.

"Who's here at 11:00 in the morning?" Mum asked.

"I'll get it!" Ash said. Curiously, I followed him.

When he opened the door, there was no on there. On the welcome mat was a folded piece of paper. Ashton picked it up and opened in. In big letters, it read:

Young Folks by: Peter Bjorn and John
SH

"What is this?" Ashton asked. Without speaking, I pointed at the flash of gold and a door slamming from Jessa's house.