Garreg Mach

"Where are you from?"

"Where does your allegiance lie?"

"How have you never heard of the kingdom?"

"How long have you been fighting?"

"Who taught you your skill?"

"How old are you?"

"Who was your-"

"Shut up!" I finally shouted. Edelgard and Claude have been asking me questions ever since we started our journey. Random and meaningless questions. I was sick of it.

I noticed the smile on Claude's face and the shock on Edelgard's. I took a deep breath and finally answered their questions.

"I don't know where I'm from. My allegiance lies with my father. I have heard of the kingdom, I just don't know much about it. I've been fighting my whole life, I learned to swing a sword before I could walk. At least, that's what my father says." I sighed. "My father taught me my skill as well as other mercenaries. I believe I am eighteen, it's hard to remember." 

I peered at their faces to see satisfaction. I smiled and decided to look around at the sights. It was as plain as a forest normally is, trees and grass; trees and grass. My father and I had never been to a forest as big as this one. We've been all over, from a capital with large rivers and water surrounding us to a dark and silent town.

As I tried to ignore Edelgard and Claude's bickering, I managed to catch sight of Dimitri, the blond male. He was talking to another knight as he walked. I noticed his walk was careful and reserved. I've seen that walk before many times. The walk of men and woman who had dark pasts. I sighed and noted my behavior as negative, for it's wrong to judge someone who I had just met. I decided to break away from the questioners and talk with him. I slowly backed out of the strange argument and walked over to Dimitri.

Dimitri noticed me and said his goodbyes to the knight. "Hello," he smiled, "I never caught your name, I believe."

"My name is Byleth Eisner."

"Byleth? That's a lovely name."

"Thank you." I slightly blushed.

After a long and awkward pause, Dimitri spoke up once more. "May I ask where you are from?"

"Claude asked that a few minutes ago. I don't know. My father never told me."

"I'm sorry for Claude's... eager behavior." He chuckled. "But how do you not know? Have you never asked?"

"Never felt the need to."

"That's admirable. At least you don't think where you are born defines you."

"What do you mean?"

Dimitri sighed. "Politics in this world are..." He sighed and brushed his hair out of his eyes. "Complicated."

I decided not to push it further.

"But anyway, how do you feel about all this?"

"All this?" I squinted.

"You're going to Garreg Mach for the first time. I would be excited."

"I'm neutral."

He smiled. "Are you to be a student?"

"Probably not."

He seemed to be struggling to keep a conversation. I know I have always been rather emotionless. My father is about the same way, but he gives bright smiles to everyone who passes by and it seems so natural. I have always had to force a smile. I've always had trouble talking, never knowing what to say or what to do, but at least Dimitri was easy to talk to, he didn't seem like he wanted to escape. I could see, however, that he was trying too hard to get me to talk. So to save him the hassle, I asked him a question that could open up others.

"What would you like to know about me?"

Dimitri smiled. "I guess you knew. I'm not sure if what I want to know about you can be asked through a question. I suppose we'll just have to spend time together."

"That's so awful." We both laughed.

"Hey! Byleth!" I turned to see Claude smiling at me. He pointed off in the distance. "Welcome to Garreg Mach."