Chapter 2

The momen Riley left and I walked into class I was scared. I didn't know what to say or do. Nor did I know where to sit. To make matters worse, everyone was staring. Every set of eyes were on me. Some filled with sadness, others with disbelief. I was scared to break the ice, but I had to.

"Hi, um, I'm Avery. You're Mrs. O'Brian?"

"Uh yes, yes I am. Welcome back, Avery. You sit right here," She gestured to an empty desk in the first row. "Between Dylan and Annie."

That was how it was every class after that and I felt it would be that way for a long time.

After school, I met up with Riley on the bus and he walked me all the way to my front door.

"So Riley, I have a question."

"Sure. What's up?"

"Okay so are you always this nice and attentive or is it 'cause of my mental retarded-ness?"

"Alright first off, you aren't retarded and never will be but yes, I am always this nice."

I wanted to hug him.

"So uh I guess I reward you with hugs quite often then, huh?"

He looked down, almost with sadness.

"Actually, you don't. At least not everyday."

He looked up and we made eye contact. Once again I was taken back to that day, that moment.

"Avery, it's me. Everything's okay, you're with me."

Riley talked me back into reality and for a moment I was fine. My mom then decided to open the door.

"Okay, Riley. I think she needs to come inside now."

"Okay."

He looked slightly upset, so I hugged him. The second his arms were around me everything else seemed to disappear. Like it was just me and him. Felt like so much more than just a friendly hug.

"Avery, you need to come inside. Riley, it was nice to see you again."

He let go and I felt less secure and safe.

"I'll see you tomorrow morning. If you need to call me, my number is in your phone."

"Will do. See you tomorrow."

My mom pulled me into the house, but I watched as Riley walked out of sight.

"Alright mom, you need to start talking now. Obviously Riley is more than my best friend. Who is he? Why do I remember his face from my accident?"

She dropped whatever she was holding and turned to me.

"You do not walk in here, demanding answers. You understand? I cannot tell you anything! You know this. I know it's hard, but you need to grow up and deal with it.

"But it's not fair! I remember Riley and I want to know why. Everyday I'm gonna see him and I'll remember. You might as well tell me cause I will find out!"

I then stormed off to my room and slammed the door.

I refuse to go three months not knowing anything. Tomorrow I'm talking to Riley and I'm finding out. However, I doubt I'll remember any if this so I pulled out an index card.

May 21st, 2014

Talk to Riley about accident.

I placed the index card under my pillow so my mom wouldn't see it and went to sleep.