Prologue

"Fate is often forgiving to the Rajah but the pure of heart remain forsaken." As the day approached its beautiful ending, a man dressed in a fitted black suit that appeared to have been tailor made for his physique came into sight. With his eyes, resembling polished jewels, glistened with brilliance while the lines of his face were sharply defined by a sculpted jawline, with neatly groomed hair that added to his charming presence. "How unfortunate to be in this lifetime,eh?" Though the room starts to be embraced by the dark, his intention was obvious as he watched the sun disappear completely. He believed he carried the hope for a better future that lingered inside him. The man extended his hand towards a lone candle situated on the tabletop and he lowered the lighter to light up the candle as darkness in the room retreated.

He returned to slide the window vertically and was greeted by the howling wind. "Three," he whispered, his eyes fixed on a large window where a few crows had taken flight. Retrieving a lighter from his pocket, he attempted to light a cigarette, but the gusty wind played tricks with the flame, causing it to dance away. He sighed and tried again, managing to ignite the cigarette. Just as it lights, fast and heavy footsteps drew nearer, and in an instant, a hand snatched the cigarette from his mouth. "And one."

"Have you gone crazy, Eliam?!" The woman's voice was so loud that it echoed throughout the entire room. Yet, the man at the window put his hands in his pockets and a tight-lipped smile formed as he faced the woman.

"I am afraid I haven't."he responded in a low tone, causing the woman to clench her fists. However, he stood still and peered at her. Her face was shrouded in darkness under the hooded cloak, but as she stepped closer, his expression remained neutral.

"And I have no doubt that you will fail!" Her voice grew louder as if the man was at the opposite side of the room. Eliam turned away, wearing a grin. He gazed out the window, but his smile vanished as he witnessed lightning streaking across a blood-red sky, followed by a deafening thunderclap. Despite it, they heard a faint scream, almost in competition with the thunder, and a heavy silence descended upon them.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Until it was followed with thousands of raindrops that fell from the bloody sky. Eliam came closer to the window and his eyes scanned the surroundings until he stopped in a forest, not far away from where they were. The silence was shattered once more by a blood-curdling scream, causing Eliam to take a step back. They exchanged alarmed glances, but she closed her eyes tightly as her head was pounding loudly. Another scream pierced the air, and the woman began gasping for breath, as if she were pursuing the air around her.

"What is happening to you?" Eliam took a step forward but she flinched and stepped back from him. His jaw clenched, and his eyebrows furrowed as he realized something that made his heart stung a little bit. Why did she react like that? He extended his hand towards her cloak, but she slapped it away lightly.

She parted her lips as if ready to let out a torrent of words, but instead, she took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Eliam, you need to leave this place." The woman put heaviness in her every word but when she gazed at him, the woman couldn't explain how her heart sank from frustration and turned into bitterness. Ah. Enough of this. He's my dear. Her both hands massaged her temples and when she avoided his gaze, a book on the table caught her attention.

With a deep breath, the man adjusted his clothing, but his gaze remained fixed on her as she opened the book. He crossed his arms, a smirk forming on his lips when the woman didn't budge, staying focused on the same page of the book. Would you understand? Would you really understand how our lovely nation will burn if we still did the same thing?

The woman slammed the book shut, causing him to clench his jaw tightly, his gaze locked on the book as it returned to its original position. "Abort the mission. We will not help them." She spoke through her teeth as if there was a force restraining her.