Chapter 7: Selfish Desire

"You're a civilian and you have to surrender the weapon to someone who is a soldier." Another man, seem more approachable, just smashed the tension swirling inside her and yet, she couldn't shake the feeling that he might still pose a threat just like their superior.

"S-Supremo, she won't be able to survive. Many enemies are still lurking and it's our duty to pro—" Zenon confronted him, all while Margosha and Lia continued their steps, choosing to distance themselves from the heated exchange.

"And yet she's wearing the cloak and clutching a rifle. Isn't that unfair? Civilians shouldn't be wearing those. She wants to live while soldiers are sacrificing their lives just to save selfish people like her." Luan's words dripped with venom, poisoning the air around them, causing Lia to stop, heaving a sigh while her gaze was fixed only on Margosha's tightly clenched fist.

"Margosha, stop." Lia whispered, gripping Margosha's hand as she realized the implications of her actions. She closed her eyes, grappling with her own inner demons. Have I been selfish all along? She wondered, her heart weighed down by guilt as she fought back the tears that threatened to well up in her eyes.

"You aren't special enough to let you live with those selfish desires and if you're going to die, then you must embrace your death." Luan's voice grew cold, his words cutting into her like sharp knives as he painfully reminded her of the harsh reality she wished to deny.

"Lia, let's go." Margosha whispered, but Lia shook her head. He's right, she thought, I must face my fate. She won't let the soldiers die in vain when she was just trying to escape her own fears and desires. The memories of Eliam and his group's battles filled her thoughts. Soldiers and civilians alike were perishing, and here she was, saved by her dearest friends who happened to be soldiers in the Vanuem's Legion, and rescued by Eliam and his group. Yet now, as she clung to the weapon, all she could think was herself?

"Lia..." Zenon called out with his wide eyes, realizing what she intended to do.

"Cast away your personal feelings." Luan demanded, his tone harsh and unforgiving.

Lia's blood went cold and her pupils dilated as she removed the cloak that had concealed her entire form all this while and never once diverted her gaze from his striking black eyes. She couldn't help but notice the rapid widening of his eyes and yet, it was swiftly replaced by a deepening frown. His comrades, still frozen in shock with stiff postures, left her in no doubt that her revelation had caught them off guard because she already knew the reason when she removed the cloak, her awareness of her once-white clothes being smeared with blood couldn't escape their notice and a wince escaped her as she nearly brushed against her injured leg.

With her steps, she closed the distance toward him, fully aware that his comrades might unsheathe their swords in response. And it happened before her eyes, Lia raised an eyebrow as the two men approached Luan, brandishing their swords.

"Wait! She won't harm anyone..." Zenon quickly said, positioning himself in front of Lia while waving his hands in a gesture of reassurance. And Margosha, still scrutinizing their every move, stood by Lia's side as Zenon joined them. However, a mere gesture from Luan prompted them to sheath their swords.

In that moment, Lia inched closer to him and pressed the rifle into his chest. Yet, he remained motionless, his eyes locked onto her face, and she didn't flinch. Their gazes locked in an unspoken exchange, disregarding her brother's warning to avoid eye contact. "This is the first time I've truly learned to appreciate the beauty of life... and you shattered it." Her voice, almost a whisper, reached him, every word emphasized the burdensome weight she bore. And Lia didn't wait for his response as she turned her back on them and began walking away, even though each step was as if walking in eggshells. Her injured leg throbbed with excruciating pain, threatening to lead her to her downfall at any moment.