Chapter 5: Pain

"Why are you in the company of the Miria girl?" Bien's words dripped with venom, sending a shiver down Lia's spine as she felt her fists clenching involuntarily and he dismounted his horse. "You're well aware she's the Heneral's sister!" and now, his voice rising like a venomous serpent ready to strike and Lia winced at the intensity of his outburst. It was as if he was pinning the blame on her, as if she had single-handedly brought this war to their homeland.

Eliam remained silent because his gaze locked on the battlefield, unresponsive to Bien's question. "Move to the frontline, all of you," Eliam commanded as he dismounted his horse, his voice ringing with authority. "Bien, guide her to safety," he directed, his eyes locking onto Bien's Yet, despite Eliam's order, Bien sighed deeply and shook his head with an air of reluctance, as if he harbored reservations about complying with Eliam's order.

"What about Margosha and Zenon?" Lia asked, her concern evident in her voice. In response, Eliam handed her the rifle that Zenon had previously given her. Her gaze shifted between the firearm and Eliam and eventually, she accepted the weapon. However, a sharp, searing pain surged through her chest, causing her to wince and clutch her chest as if it were constricting, making it difficult for her to catch her breath.

"You forgot they are part of the Vanuem Legion." Eliam reminded Lia, his eyes scanning each of the men surrounding them. He signaled them with a nod, and the men acknowledged him in kind, readying their weapons, while a few silently departed. "Let's hope you have a change of heart when we meet again—wait, are you alright?" Eliam's concern deepened as he observed Lia's expression. His hand extended, trembling like a leaf in the wind, toward her hood, but he abruptly pulled back, realizing the agony etched across her face mirrored the pain his Hara felt within herself.

As she pushed through the pain, she nodded, inhaling and exhaling sharply as she attempted to shake off the pain. However, her courage faltered when a sudden gasp escaped her lips and her shoulder blades ignited in agony, as if some malevolent creature gnawed at her from within. It's starting again. And that very moment, the excruciating pain that felt like a thousand thunders echoing again what she had previously endured in her leg. She groaned, a desperate plea echoing silently in her thoughts. Not today, please. Until she clutched the rifle's handle but it offered no solace in her grip as the searing pain relentlessly focused on her back. And a subtle twinge of pain flickered in her eyes, like a gentle pinch but it was so swift it sent a sharp pounding through her head.

Remember. A voice of a man echoed through her thoughts, guard your eyes, don't let them delve too deep. And her attention was fixed to the ground and had no desire to lock eyes with Eliam or anyone else for that matter, yet Eliam persisted, his gaze drilling into her, as if seeking to know something hidden. Lia inhaled deeply, she expelled her breath with deliberate control. "I can manage without his presence." she said, her tone was firm and filled with courage.

"Venan will kill me if—" Eliam began, his eyes fixed on her, scrutinizing her emotions. However, as she took a deep breath again, her facial expression relaxed, yet her eyes darted through the dense forest.

"I am a trainee of the Vanuem, Eliam." she muttered, fighting the urge to gasp as waves of pain washed over her, which concentrated mainly in her back and chest, causing her knuckles to throb from her grip on the rifle. "Please." Her voice trembled and when her eyes finally met him, Eliam took a step back.

His gaze fixated on Lia's two pools of darkness that seemed to shimmer with a subtle hint of silver, leaving him frozen as if he was trapped at the moment. It felt like an eternity before he finally averted his eyes to Bien, finally breaking the spell. "Is the area secure?" He let out a sigh and lowered his gaze to the ground, as if the very act of locking eyes with her had left him feeling ensnared. What could it possibly mean? He shook his head and redirected his attention to Bien. I must be imagining things.