Chapter 5: A New Face and a New Place

The atmosphere was as tense as it could be that morning. "Are you sure that we did the right thing?" asked a disturbed, sleepy knight, back with her armor on, and the Prince next to her didn't say a word. (Y/n) sighed.

"Let's go into the city to clear our minds," Shoto said as he adjusted his wig, which had been displaced in the chaos. (Y/n) giggled at the sight and adjusted her helm to cover everything except for her eyes. Shoto hummed in confusion at her laugh, then realized why she was doing so, and chuckled to himself. He wondered how (Y/n) could wear a full body suit of armor at all times, even in the powerful heat.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise that the city had even more people to (Y/n), as she could see the bright sunrise. It was quite possibly more claustrophobic than when she was alone with Shoto in the tent. She had to say 'excuse me' more than three times every ten seconds, which was more social interaction than what she was used to back in the palace. She felt dirty as everyone brushed past her armor, and gave her even dirtier looks, as if they had never seen someone clad in steel armor.

"Don't you think that wearing armor, especially with a helmet covering your face, draws attention?" Shoto asked. "Which can make people more likely to recognize me..."

"Oh." (Y/n) blinked. "You're right! How can I be so stupid? Um, oh, but where can I put this armor in a safe place? We have nowhere to-"

In the midst of her rambling, something, no, someone, audibly slammed their head into (Y/n)'s armor. It seemed to be a small boy, landing with a loud smash to the ground, and the basket of food he was holding fell as well. Apples, mangos, pears, oranges, avocados, you name it, were scattered across the floor, and strangers simply passed by, feeling sorry for him.

"I'm.. I'm so sorry!" He looked like he was close to crying. He had fluffy green hair and was wearing a farmer's clothing, which was tattered and dirty. "Oh no..."

(Y/n) panicked and began to pick up all of his fruits as he chased a rogue mango rolling off. "I'm sorry! I should've paid more attention..."

He came back. He sighed, "I won't be able to sell these now.. they're all dirty," he said, watching an ant crawl over a pear. "Thank you for helping me pick them up."

"Yeah, sorry," (Y/n) said with sadness in her voice.

"You sound familiar," the boy said. "And that's some nice armor you have. Are you some kind of knight?"

"Oh! Well..." (Y/n) laughed nervously.

"I'll buy the fruits from you," Shoto said without hesitation, drawing attention away from the knight. "Does one thousand yen sound ok?"

"Wha- I-! It's actually less than that, only five hundred actually!" he stammered. "Even so, because they can't actually be eaten, I can't even ask for that much huh-?"

Shoto handed the boy five thousand yen.

(Y/n) was the one to stop the boy from fainting. "Woah! It's really not that much."

"Oh but it is!" he sniffed. "Well, for me at least. No one has ever been so generous. People usually ask for a discount or something, but you're giving so much more... you're so nice! Every penny counts in this job."

"On something so cheap already?" (Y/n) growled. "That ain't fair. Don't let anyone step over you. The prices should be higher."

"I should... it's not my speciality though.. I just freeze up every time." He fiddled with the basket. "Thank you so much again." He bowed. "I assume you don't actually want the fruit though.. Mister..."

"No, just throw it away," said Shoto. "And I can't tell you my name."

The knight announced her own name.