People are Staring

"Are you ready to go to the fair A," my weird, but loving, friend asked.

I simply smiled with a smirk on my face. I had always gone to the fair while I was little. It was kinda like our family tradition. I'm not quite sure when it ended though. One year we were having a blast riding all of the fun and exciting rides and then the next thing I know I'm just chilling on the couch, binge-watching Stranger Things and Pretty Little Liars. I had been asking my parents for a while now if we could go to the fair, but they kept saying no. My dad claims that he doesn't like the fair in Shearsville County, my mom is always working, and my little sister, Jane, is hooked on video games. It's not like I can drive myself there. I don't have a license. It felt like I was asking them every day if I could go. Surprisingly, they finally let my 16-year-old butt go with Saige, my crazy friend I was talking about earlier.

"Hey. A? Did you hear anything I just said," Saige irritatedly spoke.

"That you want to find some cute redneck at the fair and ask for their number," I ask as red flushed to my cheeks embarrassed because I honestly had no clue what she just said.

"Oh my gosh. No. Why do you keep forgetting that I have Landen? I don't need someone," she said as she rolled her eyes, "Last time I checked the only one without a boyfriend is you A. We need to play matchmaker and fix th-."

"Blah, blah, blah S. For the last time I'm not looking for a relationship. I just want to do whatever I want. I can't when I'm not single. Plus it's so time-consuming. I don't have any time for that mushy gushy stuff," I responded annoyed while I walked into my bathroom to change.

"Okay... okay. Sorry," she apologized. "Are you ready to go at least?"

"Yeah. Just let me touch up my face and we'll be good."

As I stared at myself in the mirror, I wondered if I should get into another relationship. The reason I told Saige wasn't exactly true. Yes, I didn't want to get involved in another relationship but, only God knows the real reason why. Let's just say that my last relationship wasn't a dreamy, all hearts, and rainbows one. I'm still not quite over what Ryan did to me, but I think it's time for me to move on.

Right as I walked out of my bathroom Saige immediately says, "O.M.GOSH! Are you sure you aren't trying to catch anyone's eyes because you look on fire Amanda. Like seriously stunning."

"Okay. Okay. I lied. I am looking for another relationship. I just thought it was time to move on," I giggled with laughter.

With suspicion in her big brown eyes, Saige interrogated me with the dreadful question, "Are you going to tell me what happened between you and Ryan?"

"Nope and just to let you know, I won't be telling you anytime in the future. I'm going to be taking it to my grave," I smirked, "Come on weirdo. Let's go play bachelorette at the fair."

As I walked out of my bedroom I grabbed my three absolute necessities. My phone, sunglasses of course, and chapstick. I mean, you never know when you need to get a cute boy's number, stare at a cute boy without them noticing, or kiss a cute boy without the crusty lips you would have had. Am I right? Of course I am!

"Mom! We are going to the fair now," I yelled right before I walked out the front door to make sure she knew where we were leaving.

"Okay! Sounds good! Be safe! Make sure you are home by 10:00 p.m.! Remember what I said no dr-"

I knew where she was going with this one. She always says this right before I'm going out with friends. So I stopped her in her tracks and finished what she was going to say, "No drugs, alcohol, or sex. I know Mom. I love you see you later. Bye!"