Chapter 2 (Edited)

Eleven Years Ago

Ten-year-old Darryn ran with his friends, laughing and panting, loving the feeling of his heart racing inside him. The cold air of Querencia blew through his hair as he ran, chasing his friend. The playing came to a stop though when the orphanage matron, Miss Evans, sharply whistled, demanding the children's attention.

Dutifully, the children stopped, circling Miss Evans. She smiled at them.

"I have quite a surprise for you children. Today we have a very special guest." 

The children's eyes widened, and curiosity filled them. Darryn only stared up at the matron, not quite believing her.

The orphanage he had lived at ever since he was a toddler, was a small orphanage in one of the poorer villages of Querencia. Nothing truly exciting ever happened there. It wasn't very luxurious, but it had heat, a roof to stay under and food. Just enough to keep them alive and healthy.

The other children collectively asked "who", encouraging the matron to continue. She smiled wider.

"The king and queen of Querencia are coming here to choose someone to work for them and live in the castle!"

Darryn's mouth dropped and he felt his knees go weak. The matron was giving some extra information, but he, nor the other children, were really listening anymore.

They were whisked inside and ordered to change into their nicest clothes. When they came back downstairs, standing in the doorway was King Christian Binet and Queen Gloriana Binet. King Christian was tall, reaching 6'6 and had a gaze as intimidating as his build. His dark brown hair was ruffled like he had just gotten out of his bed, some stubble lining his strong jaw. Gloriana was quite a stark contrast, having an average height of 5'6. She was thin, with small, graceful curves. Her ebony hair flowed to her waist, her eyes golden and had the warmth of honey.

Darryn stared up at them in awe, butterflies swirling in his stomach.

The King and Queen started talking to the children and soon they approached Darryn. They smiled down at him and he watched Gloriana's mouth move as she asked him something, but her words were a dull buzz in his ears. Darryn was jolted out of the dazed state by a firm squeeze on his shoulder. He looked to his right to see the matron glaring down at him. He blushed and looked up at the king and queen. The queen smiled, speaking once more:

"The matron told us you're one of the oldest kids here, Mr. Ward. How do you like it here?" 

Darryn shrugged. "It's alright, I guess. I have a couple friends," he said shyly. 

The king kneeled, so he was eye level with the boy. "What do you like doing, Mr. Ward? What are your hobbies?" 

Darryn smiled a small smile. "I like playing tag with my friends and playing with the toy swords." 

The king glanced up at his wife, shooting her a grin. He returned his gaze to Darryn, the grin still there.

"Toy swords?! Don't tell me you want to be a knight when you grow up?!" he asked. 

Darryn blushed, nodding excitedly. "Yes sir, I do want to be a knight. I want to be brave and strong and fight bad people." 

The queen kneeled to look at him also, placing her hand on his shoulder. "You know, fighting bad people isn't the only thing knights do." 

"What else do they do?" Darryn asked with a frown. 

"They also protect princesses. Keep them safe and make sure no one hurts them," she answered, tilting her head.