Chapter 8 (Edited)

Jesika lay awake as the sun slowly started to fill her room with light. She had barely slept at all last night. She slowly stood and dressed, before going to her kitchen. Her head cook was already working on making a ridiculously large breakfast for her. The cook, Mrs. Turner, stopped when she saw her. She gasped at the looks of Jesika. The sunken eyes, the bags under her eyes, the streaks down her face where she had wept, her knotted, messy hair. Mrs. Turner hesitantly stepped closer, as if whatever Jesika had was contagious.

She placed her hands on her shoulders, her expression soft.

"Your Majesty, you look terrible! Did you get any sleep last night?!" she asked. 

Jesika slowly shook her head. "I got maybe one hour of sleep," she rasped. Her voice was hoarse from sobbing and screaming last night. "Can you make that really strong tonic? I have stuff to do today so I don't have time to be tired." 

Mrs. Turner clicked her tongue, shaking her head. "Even a queen needs sleep. What in the world do you think you could possibly do in a state like this?" 

Jesika's eyes hardened and she worked her jaw. "What did I just say, Mrs. Turner? It doesn't matter if I'm not in a good state. There will still be things that need to get done. So, make the tonic or leave my castle," Jesika ordered, fighting to get her voice to a strong pitch. 

Mrs. Turner nodded slowly, backing away. "Yes, Your Majesty. Right away."

Jesika sighed tiredly as Mrs. Turner went to work on the tonic. She sank against the nearest wall, resting her head back on it. After a few minutes, Mrs. Turner returned to her with the tonic in hand. She handed it to her and Jesika guzzled it in one long gulp. Already feeling the temporary energy returning to her, she stood upright and handed the cup back to Mrs. Turner.

"Thank you," she said. 

Mrs. Turner nodded. "Breakfast will be ready in 5 minutes, Your Majesty." 

Jesika shook her head. "Don't have time to sit and eat. I'll just get something to eat in town." 

Mrs. Turner frowned yet again. "But, Jesika! You really should eat a proper breakfast! Especially in your--"

"I swear, Mrs. Turner! If you mention my 'state' one more time, I will ban you from this ever-loving kingdom!" Jesika said, again fighting to raise her hoarse voice, cracking it in the process. The effect was ever the same though, making Mrs. Turner once again step down.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I apologize. Of course, you know better." 

Jesika nodded with authority, before turning on her heel and walking out.

As she approached her door, she saw one of her head servants. She paused, getting the servant's attention. "Do you know where Sir Darryn and Lady Aquila are this morning?" 

The servant nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty. They passed by this morning early, on their way to spar in the training grounds in Wimborne." 

Jesika nodded. "Thank you."

Jesika made her way out, wrapping her coat tighter around her at the brisk cold air. She saddled her horse, Storm, and headed quickly to Wimborne.

It wasn't long until she reached the training ground. She dismounted her horse, tying him up. She made her way through the gates and saw Darryn and Aquila sparring. Jesika sat off to the side and watched them for a moment.

Darryn seemed to be distracted by something, doing far worse than he usually did. In the end, Aquila won out, striking him in the chest. Darryn groaned, stumbling back, raking his hand through his hair.