Answers

Kaleb finished his work In first period, English was always easy for him and so once he was done he pulled his fathers journal out once more and began to read, one thing was for certain, he needed answers.

"Entry two,

It's been a week since my last entry, we were found, hunters are on our trail, and we had to skip town. I'm tired of living like this, always looking over my shoulder, always cautious of anyone I meet. I don't want my child to grow up like this, I pray he can live a normal life."

"So my parents were being chased by supposed vampire hunters," Kaleb thought to himself, "the hell kind of world did they live in?"

"I made a decision, in the event our child is like me and I'm not around I need to write down as much as I can about us...not only so my child can survive, but so he can know his parents. The first thing that above all else I must say is that you, my child, are not a monster, and neither am I.

If you are like me then you are at least half vampire, and one of pure blood, never forget that. You were born into this life whether you knew it or not so take pride in what you are! After all you will be capable of things I can only dream of."

As Kaleb continued reading he heard the bell ring out, and it was time for him to go to his next class, he packed up his things and stepped out of his English course and walked down the hall and up the stairs on his left, then out a door and into the fresh air, he had art next and it was for some reason in a separate building, he walked down the somewhat alley to his left and took a right into the opposite building, and took his seat amongst his friends and began to take out pencils and a kneaded eraser, as well as a few shading tools.

"Happy birthday K!" His friend Sean said as Kaleb finished setting up his workplace, "and congrats on finally telling Nora how you feel."

"Thank you on both accounts," Kaleb offered him his usual fist bump of a greeting, then turned around and pulled out his fathers journal, and opened to where he left off, "I may be keeping to myself for the next few days, but only so I can read this, it's from my dad."

"Your 'dad' or your Dad?" Sean said using tone to distinguish between to two words,

"My biological, long lost dad." Kaleb laughed, "you know the one who went out for smokes along with my mother and forgot me at the orphanage,"

They had a messed up type of humor but it suited them, except now his teacher was giving him a very funny look, and Kaleb felt the need to rectify his statement by explaining he was actually an orphan not just someone making a fucked up joke.

"Mr. Hope, I haven't gotten a chance to really talk to you so I'll start with the most common information, most of that joke is true, my parents are, to this day, missing and presumed dead, which is why since I've been given something of my original fathers own possessions I do hope you'll be understanding if you see me with my nose in a book after I finish the daily work." Kaleb said, keeping a formal tone. He respected Mr. Hope as a teacher and as such he always remained polite even when telling his situation in a joking manner.

"I-I'll just let you read today, you're about a month ahead of all the other AP students in the first place, with how many pieces you've completed in the last week alone," he shook his head, knowing that I normally completed a piece in a day or so,

"Thank you Mr.Hope," Kaleb replied before opening the book once more,

"I suppose the first thing I should tell you is the most important, there are people in this world that view our kind as abominations, they are the hunters. They call themselves The Church of Nox, and they are as ruthless as people can be, their only goal is the extermination of our race, and they will stop at nothing to complete this goal.

The second most important thing is the call of the blood. I'm not sure how it will affect you my son, it may be stronger than mine or it may be nonexistent, but you will need a godly amount of self control to hold yourself back. Anytime a person bleeds within the range of your senses you will know and you may feel urges that will seem unnatural. This is something we all have to come to terms with and learn to control, you must find a way to feed it without harming people. Animal blood for some reason doesn't help, it must be human. The blood will make you stronger but it comes at a cost, drink too little and you will become weak, too much and your appearance will drastically change, as well as your thirst for it rising exponentially. Many of our kind have lost themselves to the thirst and had to be put down, whether by Nox or by our own means.

The third thing is simple, you are not alone, there are many like us, and we are everywhere. We live secluded lives but leave marks to guide others to us in times of need, these signs are only visible to us due to the added frequencies of light we can perceive naturally."

Below the note was a small series of symbols that all had a strange yellow glow to them, almost like fluorescent sulphur. Each symbol had notes as to what they meant, some meaning danger with minor differences to indicate levels of the threat, some saying that safe houses were nearby, others stating dead drops and such for relaying messages. It seemed like they had a very complex system established.

Then there was another note seemingly scribbled in haste, and in different handwriting,

"There's a dead drop for you hidden outside the orphanage, it has a few things we left for you, and trust me Kaleb, you'll need them.
-Mom-"

The note from his mother made him stop, 'why would his mother write this and not his dad? Did something happen to him after writing this?' The thoughts kept circling around in his head, only one thing was certain. He had a trip to make.