1- Taking Inventory

"George. George. George. Geooorge." George awoke to his friend's voice incessantly calling his name.

He yawned, stretched until he heard his back pop, and rubbed his eyes. "Sorry, I must've fallen aslee-" His sentence was cut short as he finally opened his eyes. Around him was perhaps the strangest environment he had ever been in. He was sitting in soft grass, and a few meters away he could see the edge of a birch forest. Opposite that, a small creek ran through the earth. It certainly wasn't his room, that was for sure.

But the strangest thing wasn't that he was not in his room. It was that everything was... well, blocky. George scrambled to his feet and turned in a circle, taking it in. Even the sun was square.

"No. No, this can't be real." He closed his eyes and opened them a few times, as if he would suddenly see his room again. His breathing grew more erratic as he realized he was wearing clout glasses that had not been there before. He yanked them off and stared at his reflection. He saw his frightened but otherwise normal-looking face staring back at him.

His relief at not being a cube was short-lived, as a gigantic bee buzzed right in front of him. George made a small squeaking noise and the bee turned to face him.

"Hey."

George screamed. Did the bee just... talk to him? He heard laughing from behind him and the bee bumbled away. George whirled around to see the real person behind the voice.

They were dressed in a green hoodie and black jeans. The hoodie had a familiar smiley face on it, and if that didn't give it away, the continuous wheezing certainly did.

"Dream?" The other man finally controlled his laughter and straightened up. George couldn't help but blush as he realized that his friend was ridiculously handsome. From his natural grin, to his bright eyes, to his fluffy blond hair.

"It was about time for a face reveal, wasn't it? And you can just call me Clay." He stumbled as George threw his arms around him.

"What's going on? Where are we?" George said once he had gotten enough human contact to ground him to reality.

"Well, Minecraft is my best guess," Clay said.

George had figured that was the case, but hearing it from someone else made it that much more real. He looked around himself again. It was exactly like Minecraft, just with some incredibly realistic texture pack and shaders that even the computers at NASA wouldn't be able to handle.

"How?"

Clay's easy smile faltered. "I don't know. I don't know how to get out of here, either."

"How long have you been awake?" George wondered out loud. He was still struggling to accept the reality of his situation, and obviously Clay had had enough time to calm down.

"We're just full of questions today, aren't we?" Clay joked. "I've been awake long enough to get some wood. I was breaking that tree when I saw you lying here."

George looked at where Clay was pointing. There was a tree standing upright, but it wasn't connected to the ground. He walked closer and waved his hand under the trunk as if it were some sort of trick. The tree simply stayed where it was. "We really are in Minecraft," he whispered in awe.

"Yep! Come on, we should try to get some more resources before it becomes night." Clay raised a fist and punched the tree as hard as he could. George flinched, but it didn't look like Clay's hand was even scratched. After he had gathered the rest of the wood from that tree, he guided George over to a new tree.

George looked at him uncertainly. "So I just... punch it?" He looked back at the tree and halfheartedly swung his fist at it. Nothing happened.

Clay chuckled. "Harder than that! It doesn't hurt, trust me." With that encouragement, George swung his fist again without pulling his punch. Clay was right; it didn't hurt at all. He took a few more swings until a section of wood broke off and hovered above the ground.