Chapter 6

I didn't know whether or not to believe Josh, that we would be okay. Unlike him, I was scared of what was going to happen now. Henry's funeral was three days ago and dad still hasn't come home which means mom is still a mess. I'm just doing my best to keep it together for her and for Josh. He has been checking in on me to make sure I haven't passed out on someone's front lawn again or to be sure I haven't had a mental breakdown.  I might be on the verge of doing both, who knows the day is still young. 

My thoughts were interrupted by hurried steps coming down the stairs. Mom appeared around the corner with a big smile on her face, something I haven't seen in over a week. She walked over to the couch and sat down next to me with the same goofy grin. Looks like she beat me to the mental breakdown. 

" We should go out and do something, maybe shopping, get some food, go for a walk, or just sit at a park bench " she said in a rush. I almost didn't catch some of the words she was saying. 

" Yeah I could eat and then we can go to our favorite park over on 87th" I suggest.

"Perfect, give me about five minutes to get dressed and then we can go" she says before running off upstairs. What has happened to my mother that was glued to her bed and refusing to speak just last night. Maybe I should just enjoy the fact that she is normal-ish again. 

" I'm thinking we should go to Ruby's for lunch. That cute little diner by your school, we haven't been there in years and they had really good food " she said as she came down the stairs fixing her hair. We haven't gone to that diner in years because my dad never wanted to go. He said it was because he didn't like the food but the real reason was his ex-girlfriend worked there. 

"I think that is a great idea. Melissa works there so she can hook us up with some milkshakes" I say which makes her smile. 

"I think a milkshake is exactly what we both need right now and you should invite Josh" she quickly added," right now is the most important time to spend with family." I nodded and pulled out my phone to text Josh

'Want to join my mom and I for lunch, before you say you don't want to intrude my mom is the one that offered.'

Just as we were walking out of the door, my phone went off. It was Josh saying 'And here I was thinking you just wanted my company. Sure I'll tag along'

I laughed a little at the first part before turning to my mom "Josh said he'll come with us". 

"Great, tell him we'll pick him up in a few minutes" she said as she began to pull out of the driveway.

'Be ready in the next five minutes, we'll be there soon'

'I only need two, I was blessed with naturally good looks' 

I bit my lip to keep myself from laughing as I typed 'the only thing you were given was a big head'

"So when are you going to tell him about your crush on him " my mom said as she stopped at a light. I turned my head so quick, I think I may have given myself whiplash.

" What are you talking about, I don't have a crush on Josh. We've been best friends for years and that is all."

" Keep telling yourself that honey" she said before turning back to the road. I do not have a crush on Josh, or any feelings like that, right?