Chapter three

They made me this way. They grafted these wings on me to be able to fly. They put me through all this pain only to take it away from me. This goes to show you how much I really hate these guys. Yeah it's pretty tough but you know, I didn't choose the lab life, the lab life chose me. I was silent on my walk back to my cage. I crawled in and brought my legs to my chest. In the corner of my eye Angel crawled closer to my cage.
"Max? What happened? What did they do?"
I shivered, both from the memory of the scissors cutting off individual feathers and the thought that they aren't afraid to do it and they could possibly do the same to Angel. I won't let that happen. My baby will fly. "They clipped my wings Angel. I can't fly. At least not for a while." I looked over and saw a small gleam in her eye as she begins to tear up. a single tear rolls down her cheek before she yells out "NO!" She falls on her back and starts kicking the cage and flapping her wings wildly. I simply sat there in awe. My little Angel...in such a rage. I hear muttering on the other side of the door to the rest of the lab. "Angel shhhh they'll punish y-" and before I can finish a whitecoat ran in to Angels' cage holding some sort of stick or cane. "Hey calm down there." Angel kept thrashing and the whitecoat took the stick and stuck it through her cage and in an instant, he shocked her. A cattle prod! "You monster!" I yell at the whitecoat. In shock he turns to see me. It took me a second to remember I wasn't supposed to speak. He starts to raise the cattle prod towards me. Crap. I scoot back as far as I can in my cage, my breathing quickening. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." I looked over and it was Angel, smiling at the whitecoat. He backed off of me and went back to her. "I think..." she looked up at him with her big baby blues "you should put it down. Now." Without a word the whitecoat dropped the prod. Angel smiled. "Good. Now open the cage. Hers too." She motioned to me and he did as he was told. What the heck is going on. The whitecoat stood there dazed for a moment before blinking and snapping back to reality and gasping at the two bird girls. Grabbing a walkie talkie and bringing it to his face in panic. No way am I going back in that cage. I grab the cattle prod and hit the whitecoat with it, a small BZZT before he falls down unconscious. I lean down next to Angel. "We are going to talk about whatever you just did later missy. Now let's go. Quickly before they find us." She nods before taking my hand and we run past rows of cages to the door in hopes to make it outside again. On the way out I hear a small yelp as I look to see a couple small boys in cages, one of them half covered in scales and the other with gills and webbed hands. It was so hard to look in their pleading eyes but I had to keep running. We wouldn't have time to let all these kids free, at least not now.
Angel and I run out into the hallway and I begin to remember the turns we made to get outside. The halls were relatively empty which I saw was odd. That is until we went outside. It was pitch black, it had to be the middle of the night. I've been locked inside those walls I've lost my concept of time. Angel and I run to the hole in the fence. She gets on her hands and knees and crawls through. When she stands up, I'm still on the other side. "Max come on!"
"Angel....you're going to have to go without me." She reaches her arm through the fence and grabs my hand tightly.
"No. Come on Max. I got us out. We came this far and you can't stay. Why do you want to leave me?" She let out her big puppy eyes. It's come to a point where I can't tell if she means it or if she's just trying to manipulate me like she did to the whitecoat. But I can't assume that. Not her.
"Angel. You know I would never leave you. I have to go back though. I have to go into the labs computer database and find some information about how to get the other mutant kids out. I can't stand to just leave them there, so hopeless. Now you run through those woods. No, fly. Try your very best and fly for me. Get to high ground near some kind of landmark like a lake and then wait for me. I will be there by morning... hopefully. Please. For me." I saw a couple of tears run down her cheeks before she nods and smiles "ok Max. I love you" and she took off running off into the woods. Be safe Angel. I love you too, but first I have to free the lab. Time to let the freaks out.

Hey guys. Sorry this chapter came late. I had some problems going on but I'm going back on regular updates. See you next Monday ^.^