Chapter four

I ran back into the lab, continuously scanning around me for any kind of night guard. I really should've kept the cattle prod from before. The lab was much larger than I thought. All of the places that I've been to in my 15 years of existence probably won't even add up to a tenth of the space. I tried looking for a map. There's no way that the whitecoats working here really remember how to get around here. As I turned the corner my prayers were answered with a bulletin board with a map of the lab. I see beyond the rooms full of "specimen holding systems" and testing rooms is a map of the second floor and there's something that resembles offices and computer labs. There needs to be some sort of code or a key to get the other kids out of here. I make my way up the stairs to where the map said the offices were. There's rows of desks that didn't seem too important so i went the desk on the end and turned on the computer. Big surprise, there's a password and of course im not smart enough to have thought of a backup plan.

At that moment I spotted a figure in the corner of my eye. Time for action, I jump out of the chair, snapping out my wings to propel myself towards the watcher. It was at this moment that I had remembered that I had my wings clipped and I tumble to the ground. Okay just pretend like they didnt see that ridiculous attempt of an attack. I move quickly and barrel roll over to the mysterious intruder, jumping up to pin them to the wall. Well that isn't right.

It's a girl, younger than me in the white gown all the experiments wear. Her skin was a mocha brown and her hair was tied up in a messy bun, pieces hanging in front of her dark brown eyes, filled with fear.

"S-stop please! I'm one of you. I want to get out of here too!" She strained against my grip but i wouldn't let her budge. Theres no telling if she is just an Eraser in disguise. She whimpered and slowly extended a gold and brown feathered wing from her back I immediately loosened my grip on her, stepping back in shock. She was telling the truth. She's more than just an experiment, she's like Angel and I. And if her wings remained intact, then she could escape like Angel. Until then she might as well help me.

"Come with me, I'm not sure if there are any more whitcoats so we need to act fast."

I run back to the computer, the other girl trailing behind me quickly and speaking over my shoulder.

"May I? I can take a shot at cracking it."

I roll my chair back for her. "Be my guest"

She leans close to the monitor, closing her eyes and placing her hand on it. What is she trying to do? She hummed slightly and her eyes opened abruptly and she typed out a flurry of numbers and letters and clicking enter. The computer freaking turned on.

"How did you.....nevermind. Just try and search for anymore documents or maps of other labs. Maybe an access code to get everyone else out of here."

"And finding our parents."

Did she just. "No. nonono we don't have parents. We were born in artificially fertilized test tubes."

"No we have parents. I saw a whitecoats clipboard and there were names and addresses by our lab names like subject 5 and stuff"

I sigh. This girl seriously has no idea what she's talking about. Those addresses could mean a number of things. Who knows maybe they're planning to ship us out. But i guess I'll humor her for now. The day I get parents is the day I grow a beak and decide to eat birdseed.

"Ok fine i'll try but first i need to find any more labs locations". I take a few minutes to search around finding a list of addresses and phone numbers from different states. That will have to do for now. I click print and take the papers quickly. The other girl follows behind me as i leave the offices.

"Wait! Where are you going?"

"Does it matter? Wherever I'm going its sure as hell not here. So if you like freedom you can tag along, just keep up."

She squealed with delight, her bare feet dancing on the cold tile. After her little celebration she stood up straight, holding out her hand.

"The name's Nudge."

"I'm Max. Now come on."

Nudge and I run through the corridors, down stairs and into the courtyard, making our way to the hole in the fence. I shoot one more glance back at my home for 16 years. So long suckers.