Chapter Twenty-Nine

Twenty-Nine

Glory

It sounded like burning skin.

The black venom sizzled against Scarlet's shocked face. And to Glory's horror, it started to melt off. Scarlet screamed, clawing at her face. Her friend, Burn, ran away without even giving her a second glance.

Glory felt sorry for the woman screaming on the floor. It really did seem painful. "You probably killed a lot of people. You probably helped to create this venom. Did you think you could get away with it?" Glory blinked.

"Help...me," Scarlet screamed. Glory stood there, unable to do anything for a moment. And that was when Scarlet reached for her throat.

Luckily, Scarlet's grip wasn't firm, but it was clear in the murderous look in her eyes that Glory had made an enemy.

Glory tore her eyes away, coughing, and ran to the place Clay and Peril were fighting. Clay was punching her, and Peril wasn't fighting back. She just kept talking.

"Clay! Clay!" She sobbed. Not this not this not this.

Clay stopped, but only for a moment. He turned to her, his black pupils staring right at her. "Glory," a voice that didn't seem like Clay's said, cold and angry.

"Clay!" She felt the tears again. She had never felt so much fear. She cried out again. "Clay!"

"Give it up, Clay! Control yourself! You're killing her!" Peril shouted from the back. She was running towards them, her face bloody. Her lip was swollen. Her hands lit up with fire. "Think wisely."

"Don't hurt him!" Glory cried, trying to run to her. Clay seemed confused. Traitor. She's trying to hurt him, she will kill him-

"Keep talking to him!" Peril shouted, to her surprise. "Clay, it isn't real! None of you are safe!"

Clay shook his head. "Safety. Warmth. Protection-"

"Think, Clay, think! We have to get out of here. They will kill us all!" Glory sobbed. She felt empty, utterly broken. Clay was fighting a battle against himself, and there was nothing she could do. "Please!"

Peril was slowly walked to him, her expression full of caution. "Your friends. They are in danger. Open your eyes and see, Clay. Open your eyes," she said, calm.

"What are you doing?" Glory demanded. "We have to get out of here!"

Peril flashed her an irritated look. But her eyes were full of fear. For what? She's not in danger. Why is she afraid? "You don't know what it's like. Being in that paradise in your head-fighting to gain control. Don't speak like you know what it feels like."

"Why should I believe you?" Glory challenged, as Clay gripped his head. She cried out and ran to him, but Peril held her back. Glory thought she was trying to burn her, but the fire had subsided.

"Because I-" Peril started. "I-"

Glory laughed, in a moment of insanity. She felt anger, and she directed it to Peril. "What? You love him or something? If it wasn't for you, we would have been safe. We could have escaped!"

Peril flushed. "I didn't-"

But then the explosion happened. It was like a bomb. Everythin started to blow up. It was timed. Someone's trying to kill the assassins.

She felt amused. She shouldn't have been, but she was. The assassins are being assassinated.

In what seemed like a slow in time, Glory was lifted off the ground and was forced onto a wall. The air was knocked out of her. Numbing pain blinded her.