The Sheet

Warnings: poltergeist activity, malevolent spirit, characters hurt by ghost, imagery of swallowing black gunk, imagery of spirit with implied suicide, please let me know if I missed any!!!

Roman held a digital reordering in his hands as he got ready to go down into the basement. Virgil stood steady beside him as he prepared himself to open his senses to the spirits. "Okay, it's 9 PM," Roman started as he looked into the night vision camera Remy was holding. "The door to the cellar just opened on its own. I have Virgil and Officer Remy Hamilton with me." Roman turned and began making his way down the stairs with Virgil and Remy following as he filmed. "Let's keep the light off," Roman said. "It might be more inclined to come out with the light off." They reached the cellar and stepped out into the open, dark space. "Can you give us a sign that you want to communicate with us." 

Virgil glanced around the room. Flashes of blood and screams ringing in his ears. He fought to sort through the memories of the past and searched for whatever was with them in the here and now. Virgil's heart began racing as he focused in on this dark mass lingering on the fringes of the room they were in, lurking in the shadows, able to strike at any time. He began to breathe heavier. 

"Everything alright?" Roman asked, concerned for his husband. 

Virgil sighed. "Something is definitely here."

Remy watched from the sidelines uneasily. Roman turned back to the room. "I'm going to turn the digital recorder on." Virgil tried to draw out the dark mass and get it to show itself. If they knew what it was they could vanquish it, but it had yet to do so. Other than the dark mass and the spirit of the young boy, Virgil would have said the house wasn't haunted. But he could sense it. He could feel the energy lingering on the fringes. "Alright move something, close a door!" 

Virgil felt a stab of fear and suddenly he couldn't breathe. "R-Ro," he croaked. 

Roman immediately stopped and turned to his husband. "Virgil?" He asked, concern quickly spilling into his tone. 

Virgil leaned over and put his hands on his knees as he tried to regain his breathing. "I-I need to get out of here." 

"Okay, let’s go." Roman pocketed his digital recorder and helped Virgil up. He guided the psychic up the stairs with Remy following. The three froze as below them, the piano played a single note. Remy found his heart rate picking up as he spanned the camera to look down the stairs before back up at Roman and Virgil. Both stared down at the basement before sighing and walking the rest of the way up the stairs and into the hallway. "Well, like I said before," Roman started. "Things don't always happen when you want them to-"  

A loud bang as the door to the cellar slammed shut in front of their eyes. Remy's eyes widened comically large as he watched the event through the camera. Patton, Logan, Virgil, and Roman all stared in shock at the door, fear passing quickly over their faces. "Well, that was something," Virgil breathed. 

 ----

Remy sat next to Toby as they watched the monitor in front of them. "For someone who doesn't believe," Toby started. "You looked a little freaked out when that door slammed shut." 

Remy pouted. "It must have been a draft," he replied as he picked up his cup of coffee and took a sip.

Toby snorted. "That's funny. A draft has never put that look on my face before." 

Remy huffed. "Yeah well, I believe the clock." He pointed at the clock in front of them. "It’s 3:08. No mysterious stopping of the clock." 

Roman and Virgil shared a look. They weren't stupid. They knew there was something here. Something dark. They knew it was here. So why was it hiding? The only explanation, it knew who they were. It knew what they were there to do. And it was smart. The thought caused a shiver to run along the couple's spines.